BACK PACKING TRIPS


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Merseyside » Liverpool
September 19th 2012
Published: September 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

My mate in Australia asked me today what some good tips were for her because she was going backpacking this summer through Europe. So heres a few things i thought of and I thought Id post them for anyone else who might be interested 😊 If I think of anymore I will let you guys know x



TIPS! Are you travelling alone? if not, you should deffinately couchsurf 😊 its free and you get fed and you meet amazing people who show you around countries that you would otherwise not know where to go.

buy the book "Lets go europe" its a travel book written buy students form cambridge and oxford uni and its all about seriously budgetted fun travel through all the separte countries of europe - my parents used it when they were my age and im using the updated version with gen now - its about $25 off the internet (Amazon)

Buy a backpack with wheels and straps - because trust me, if you dont HAVE to carry it on your back then you shouldnt. it conserves energy and saves your back.

Pack a LOAD of tea bags. I have an array of calmomile, english breakfast, chai, fruit and learl grey because when you are starving (which we usually are when we travel because we eat like one meal a day) you always have access to water to boil, and something warm that fills you up for free goes a LONG way.Also the different types are good because you dont need milk for all of them just in case you are REALLY poor or are in transit and cant keep milk in the fridge.

MILK - start drinking long life UHT soya increased calcium, 1% fat. This will be your lifesaver on long journeys for tea. It doesnt need refridgeration and its packed full of goodness for you if your low on food.

FOOD- okay this is an extensive section. Foil packed, flat packed and dried are the way to go. Avoid tins or boxes as these take up wayyy to much space in an already tightly packed rucksack. Pack with you dried chickpeas, lentils and other pulses that you can just slide down the side of your pack. If you throw these in with a handful of dried rice and some fresh tomatoes that you buy along the way you have a meal thats jam packed full of protein and energy, vitamins and carbs to keep you going on your tight budget. You can get flat/foil packed curries and tuna lunches for like 20 cents form home bargain stores or frozen food stores or aldi. These are a lifesaver when you want a special something different.

Alcohol - buy ALWAYS in duty free when you cross borders. And just carry them into the country of your detination because alcohol WILL be your main expense.

CLOTHES- layers is key. pack clothes that are extremely versatile - tshirts you can layer - cardigans you can layer - jackets you can wear with EVERYTHING etc etc because i am telling you, the worst things you can be when you backpack is wet and cold.

KEEPING DRY - 2 main things you need - 1. you need a backpack cover for your pack (you can buy these to fit your pack form kathmandu etc etc) 2. you need a fully waterproofed jacket. (min was $200 but god was it worth it.)

STAYING COMFY - you need to buy a blow up neck pillow and eye patches. You will thank the lord when you have had the night shift of watching your stuff on the train while your mate sleeps and youre stuck sleeping in the middle of the day because frankly sunlight is never helpful for that!

STAYING SMART AND SAFE - easy easy easy if youre organised. Rape alarm (can be a whistle or whatever as long as it attracts attention and is LOUD) this will save your butt if someone steals something or attacks you.

Pepper spray - if you can get your hands on this, its an extra safety precaution to sleep with

Padlock and chain - always lock your pack with a combination lock and small wire chain to the chair your in on your train or to your cabin, it makes your pack less likely to be the pack chosen to steal.

Valubles - i have a second backpack which i wear on my front when we travel, in it i keep my laptop etc etc so i can see them at all times. i padlock this too.

BUT i also have a money undershirt wallet which i keep my passports etc etc in which i wear around my neck or waist under my clothing. I SLEEP WITH THIS ON!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb