Greenwhich


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » London
February 17th 2011
Published: February 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Lord NelsonLord NelsonLord Nelson

Nelson, who fought in the Battle of Trafalgar, was an leading character in the British Navy. He lost his arm in the waters off Tenerife in 1797.
So, today we went to Greenwhich to see the sights in one of the most stunning areas of London. We started off with a walk around the Old Naval College, taking in the beautiful buildings and taking a good look at the Thames. We saw the Cutty Sark (currently being renovated after an accidental fire!) - an example of a merchant ship, the same kind that would have traded with the Canary Islands.
We moved on to the Observatory. Personally this was incredibly interesting, as i study astrophysics, and we saw a camera oscura projecting an image of the Naval College. The meridian, which passes through the observatory, also passes through El Hierro, which i went to see a few months ago. Was a nicely poetic idea, following the meridian around the world!
In the Maritime Museum we saw many examples of modern and traditional vessels. Among them was a gorgeous, gold plated welsh boat and a plush sport sailing yacht. We saw many similar yachts back in Tenerife, where we have the perfect conditions for water sports.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The ObservatoryThe Observatory
The Observatory

This observatory was a predecessor to the observatories on Tenerife and Gran Canaria.
The MeridianThe Meridian
The Meridian

This line of zero longitude passes through Greenwhich and through El Hierro.
Canary WharfCanary Wharf
Canary Wharf

The financial district shares its name with our islands.


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb