Wax and Wheels


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » London
July 13th 2010
Published: August 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After a sleep in we go to post office then head to London Eye.

Caught the tube and stopped outside the House of Parliament to see Big Ben (the clock) and was amazed by the size of it. One section had scaffolding around it as it was getting refurbished.

It’s a short walk over the bridge to get to the London Eye and there are heaps of souvenier stands on the way, competition is rife - but the prices (and goods) are exactly the same at each one. We stop at one to buy me a replacement umbrella, which should guarantee us sunshine for the rest of the day!

Even though we pre-ordered our tickets we still have to join a long, long queue to exchange then for usable tickets then we have to queue again for the Eye. This was one of the few places it holds little advantage to pre buy tickets. They are selling tickets all over London for this and also Madam Tussauds so we don’t expect our pre bought tickets to help us out there either.

Included in the ticket is a 4D show. It was very touristy, mostly showing the Eye and what you can see from it, as though seeing it from a seagull’s perspective. It was okay, Tim was pretty disappointed as it wasn’t what he was expecting, but at least it was free.

Then even more queuing to get into the Eye. You can buy ‘front of line’ passes but even they didn’t seem to be moving too quick.

The ride takes about half an hour, great view, the glass pod enclosure is very full though, maybe a dozen or more people. The view is great. I didn’t realise how large (and old) London is. Everywhere you look there is a historical building. It makes our teeny wheel back in Perth even more laughable.

One of the men in our Pod was telling the man he was with (who it seemed had some kind of management dealing with the Eye because they didn’t seem chummy, more an arranged outing) that he saw the Hudson plane after it had gone down from his office, but it took him some time to realise what had happened because it was so surreal. It was interesting listening to a witness’s perspective.

Had a quick lunch, I had a crepe and Tim had a waffle, not as nice as France but the guy I got mine from was so polite the 15min wait all seemed worth it! He was even honest enough to give back money when some Japanese girls overpaid him by about $20.

MADAM TUSSAUDS

Caught the tube to Madam Tassauds. Because we have pre bought ticket we go through a different entry, even though, it is still a long queue as you can pre-buy tickets all over London. But it is still a lot shorter than the main entry.

It is so ridiculously busy inside. You can’t get to the exhibits and there is so much pushing and shoving, not an enjoyable visit for the most part. Tim and I lost each other so many times, perhaps not all the time by accident on Tim’s behalf, hahaha.

The highlight was one part where they have lots of little mini English cabs all joined together to make a little rollercoaster type ride, but without the ups and downs, that take just 2 at a time (so no more pushing and shoving) and it takes you through English history. Another good part was a 4D show about superheroes, was a lot better than the show earlier but didn’t compare to the one in Singapore - maybe they gave us high expectations!

At the end of it there is a little stand with a chocolate fountain with a choice of marshmallows or strawberries, very yummy!

We are happy to find the exit and leave, it would be bigger than the one in Amsterdam and there are many statues that are the same in each, but this one is just too packed so we enjoyed Amsterdam more.

Back on the tube again to the hotel. On the way we hear that Piccadilly Circus station, near where we ate with Anna and Jon, is closed due to some sort of emergency (we learn later that it has been flooded) so as we go past we hear the announcements for everyone to evacuate, probably not something you want to hear while your down there given it wasn’t that long ago they had the bombings.

Had dinner at same restaurant that we went to with Anna and Jon as I wanted what Anna had, deep fried Camembert cheese. After we order waitress tells us they have run out, but she arranges for me to have the half serving they have left and any other dish I wanted, so that was nice.

Back to hotel to pack ready for Canada tomorrow - awesome!




Additional photos below
Photos: 70, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb