Football?...wha? Oh...Leicester Sports!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Leicestershire » Leicester
April 17th 2009
Published: April 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Leicester On the Map...Reminder


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: RUGBY! 46 secs
2: Scrum Leicester Tigers 21 secs
3: Throw In 7 secs
While in Leicester I had the opportunity to see many new sporting events. I am happy to say that I saw my first ever rugby and football (aka soccer) matches. The first event I went to was the Leicester Tigers Rugby match with Sharron. She was looking around for someone to go with her and I said was interested in maybe going to a game and she pounced at the opportunity and said, “Ok we’re going! When are you free?” So one weekend that I spent in Leicester was half divided by writing papers and on Saturday going to see the Leicester Tigers.

The match was pretty interesting and surprisingly tame. We went not knowing what to really expect, but we heard from some of the other fans that the rugby matches are the more relaxed crowd compared to the football fans. We were really excited and showed up pretty early to get a good position. At the stadium the cheapest and closest seats are not really seats at all, they are standing positions. Because we arrived early we were able to find a central spot that was really close and also we found a space where we could lean against a barrier! All in all it was a good effort by us! We learned some new things about the game from other fans, like you have to pass backward, the scrum is a fight for possession, and a throw in involves players being lifted into the air. These were the most exciting aspects of the game. There was a lot of kicking the ball across the field though. The match was pretty close at the beginning, but in the end Leicester pulled away and won the game. It was a good day at the stadium!

A couple of weeks later the University of Leicester girls and boys football teams had the opportunity to play in the professional Walker stadium against another Leicester college team, so a bunch of people from my hall went to watch. I was not as interested in the football games as I had been the rugby, but it was still interesting to see and I was able to cheer on my school! The girl’s team won in a shoot out at the end, which was pretty exciting. The boy’s team played really well, but lost in the shoot out at the end. Both matches resulted in a shoot out because they were given time allotments.

The same thing occurred with the girl’s and boy’s University of Leicester rugby teams about two weeks later. They were given the chance to play in the Leicester Tigers Stadium against a local college. Madison and I went by ourselves because most people were trying to finish up papers right before the break. The girl’s slaughtered their opponent by several tries (goals) but the boy’s team lost by only a couple of points. It was pretty cool to attend these games because I was given the opportunity to see something else of my university rather than just the classroom. Also, I don’t watch either of these sports regularly, so it was nice to see something different.



Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Doing SomethingDoing Something
Doing Something

I know I am so descriptive!
ScrumScrum
Scrum

This is when they fight for possession of the ball
Half-time scoreHalf-time score
Half-time score

the game is made up of 2, 40 minute segments
We fought for good seatsWe fought for good seats
We fought for good seats

by fight i mean we showed up really early!
Walker StadiumWalker Stadium
Walker Stadium

The Universities got to play in the professional stadiums against other Leicester universities.


Tot: 0.323s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb