Cliffs of Dover and More London Adventures


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Kent » Dover
May 31st 2012
Published: July 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The next day mom and I got up and headed to the train station. We caught a train to Dover to see the Cliffs of Dover. We really didn’t plan much or know what was in the city, so we were just winging it. We explored the city a bit and found a local Italian restaurant that ended up being really delicious. After lunch, mom and I embarked on our hike. The cliffs of Dover are just large cliffs that have chalk rock on the outside, making them white. You can hike along the edge of the cliff for two miles until you reach a lighthouse. I love lighthouses so I really wanted to hike to it, even though it was closed that day. The hike turned out to be really nice, and the weather was perfect. The hike went by fast, and we had bought cookies earlier to have as a snack on the way. After our hike, we headed back to the train station to go back to London. We saw that Canterbury was on the way back, and literally at the last second decided to jump off the train and explore the city for an hour.

It was one of the best decisions that we made the whole trip! A Roman wall that you got to walk on top of surrounded the city. We followed the top of the cathedral into the middle of the city, and got there just in time to hear the bells ring at 6. The cathedral was gorgeous, and even though we didn’t get to go in, it was still cool to see it. We stopped at a pub on the way back to the train station that looked at the cathedral, and sat outside for a quick pint. Of course, we lost track of time and had to run back to the train, making it just in time.

The next day we woke up early again to go to the Victoria and Albert museum. I hadn’t been there yet, but I had heard that it was awesome. The museum turned out to be huge! I could of spent multiple days exploring it. They had a great fashion exhibit starting from the 16th century. Really, the museum was just full of random things, such as furniture or modern art. And the gift shop was the best one we had been to! We lost track of time in there as well, and had to run to make it to our high tea appointment. I also had looked up the wrong directions, and had taken us to the wrong side of Hyde Park. (One thing that I’ve learned on this trip is that I am awful at directions.)

Eat was very nice, and it overlooked Hyde Park. We then spent the afternoon shopping and went to the National Portrait Gallery. They had a great exhibition of Queen Elizabeth portraits, and it was really cool to see her representation and progression in media and photographs throughout the years. That evening, mom and I went to Les Miserables. The singing was spectacular, and it was one of my favorite plays that I have seen yet.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



11th July 2012

Fun times
Looks like a great time!

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb