Ryde the Catamaran in, and Ryde the Hovercraft out: Our Visit to the Isle of Wight


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Isle of Wight » Ryde
April 7th 2012
Published: May 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Walking Tour of the Isle of Wight


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Our Ride Home from Ryde 37 secs
Today we took the train to Portsmouth and then hopped on the catamaran ferry to the town of Ryde on the Isle of Wight. The journey was very nice, but basically the same trip that we took to St Malo, France, because the ferry leaves from the same place and goes right past the Isle of Wight. When we got to the island, we had hoped to rent bicycles for half of the day but by the time we got to the bike shop, they were completely sold out of bikes! So, instead of biking, it was the heel-toe-express all day. Because we couldn't cover as much ground and see as much of the island as we would have liked to on foot, we decided that it would be best to walk along the beach from town to town. So, that is what we did!

At the beginning of our walk we stopped at a little shack on the boardwalk to grab some food. Elysia ordered a veggie burger, you know, the healthy option... or so she thought. Little did she know at the time of ordering, but the method of cooking is a little unorthodox. Instead of grilling the veggie burgers like they did for the beef burgers, they opted to deep fry them... surprise!

Once we got to the third town, the rain started pretty heavily so we jumped on the first bus we could back to Ryde. In Ryde, we bought tickets for the hovercraft to take us back to Portsmouth, but we had a few spare moments so we opted to grab a quick dinner. We each had a roast turkey dinner, and it was really good! Especially considering that it was only about £3.50 a head! A couple of weird features though... the green peas stained the turkey green, and the stuffing came in little balls that had been deep fried. It was tasty, but probably not the healthiest!

The hovercraft ride home was, as expected, awesome. It's an amazing feeling to go bombing down the beach at about 50 km/h straight onto the water. Almost like floating on air... (sorry, couldn't resist!). The trip only took ten minutes, which is pretty incredible considering the high speed catamaran ferry takes 20 minutes and departs from a huge long pier on the Isle of Wight that is actually about a ten minute walk to get to the actual island!

All in all, a great day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Walking Along the Boardwalk Towards BembridgeWalking Along the Boardwalk Towards Bembridge
Walking Along the Boardwalk Towards Bembridge

And no, that is not a dress... its just a sweatshirt!
Hiking through the WoodsHiking through the Woods
Hiking through the Woods

The tide was pretty high and there was a point we couldn't get around by beach without getting wet, so we had to take a different route


16th May 2012

Hey there
The Isle of Wight looks like a very scenic place to visit - although the deep fry cookery sounds less appealing. I guess it could be worse - they say that the Scots deep fry everything, even Mars bars! The hover craft looks like an interesting experience too - although maybe a bumpy ride at high speed.

Tot: 0.353s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 69; dbt: 0.118s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb