A Day in Windsor


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
July 16th 2005
Published: August 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we spent a very nice day w/ John's Uncle Gordon and his wife, Anne-Lynne. They picked us up at 10:30am and we went to Runnymeade where the Royal Air Force Memorial is to pay tribute to John's Uncle Ted Dawson who was shot down in WWII. I wanted to view Gramma's brother Frank b/c the Royal Canadian Air Force was recognized there as well but I regrettably drew a blank on Gramma's maiden name so cldn't pay my respects.

Following Runnymeade we went to Windsor and saw the Queen's "summer home" which was magnificent. What a stunningly beautiful castle. We had a great lunch on a cobblestoned mew and then wandered around the quaint (albeit touristy) streets.

In the evening we met John's cousin, Katy and had our first pitcher of Pimms. YUMMY!! We're definitely bringing some of that back. They put some Pimms in a pitcher, mix it with lemonade and throw in some strawberries, grapes, cucumber (yes, cucumber!) and a bunch of other fruit and voila! you have one refreshing drink that would be ever so popular on the patios of Vancouver.

While drinking our quenching Pimm's we watched Jack Nicklaus putt his last putt during the British Open which was, surprisingly, quite emotional. Then we went to "Light House" for dins. Came back to Elizabeth's house where Jane (another cousin of John's) was over for dinner with Paul - we had great fun hanging out with them for awhile too.

Yesterday was such a great day! Gordon and Anne-Lynne were so hospitable and Katy was really sweet. I had heard so much about John's cousin and it was great to finally meet her. It's really nice to be able to meet all of John's family here. There are so many and a lot are from his dad's side which is nice b/c I feel I can "meet" John's dad a bit through them.

Today Jane is going to take us around London. Think we're going to try and go up the London Eye and then take a boat down the Thames to Greenwhich. Having locals show us around is really helpful!

Miss you all!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb