Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from West Hampstead
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from West Hampstead
Latest Blogs from West Hampstead
- September 6th 2013 My new travel blog!
by Words: 68 Photos: 0
- March 9th 2011 London
by Words: 731 Photos: 0
- February 14th 2009 London Winter & Waitangi Day Part II
by Words: 662 Photos: 15
- January 1st 2009 Happy New Year, updating for '08
by Words: 1246 Photos: 2
- July 27th 2008 Royal Adventures
by Words: 835 Photos: 12
- April 6th 2008 Spring SNOW in London!!
by Words: 33 Photos: 6
- February 8th 2007 It snowed even more!
by Words: 104 Photos: 5
- January 28th 2007 Day on Hampstead Heath
by Words: 126 Photos: 5
- January 24th 2007 It snowed!
by Words: 163 Photos: 3
- October 3rd 2006 Itinerary
by Words: 375 Photos: 0
- June 18th 2006 Matt's Birthday Blur
by Words: 532 Photos: 16
- May 2nd 2006 Farewells
by Words: 131 Photos: 3
- April 4th 2006 First day unemployed........
by Words: 306 Photos: 0
- October 22nd 2005 Londoner: Top Five
by Words: 339 Photos: 0
- October 4th 2005 Happy New Year! Jews and Non-Jews alike, but mostly the Jews
by Words: 582 Photos: 11