A Foodies Heaven - Borough Market


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Southwark
October 31st 2008
Published: October 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Chorizo, huevos y patatas fritasChorizo, huevos y patatas fritasChorizo, huevos y patatas fritas

Ok to many this might be sausage egg and chips but at Tapas Brindisa outside Borough Market it is transformed into the tastiest (if not healthiest) breakfast.
On a very cold Friday morning in London I awoke to the news that my apartment in Madrid, which I thought was confirmed more than six weeks ago, is no longer available.

This is not the greatest information to recieve two days out from arriving in the capital of Spain. I had to quickly start looking for a new place of abode and I've fired off a couple of emails to places that had vacancies however I will have to wait until Saturday to find out whether I have secured either of them.

I quickly put that minor setback aside and headed off to visit my favourite food market in the whole world- Borough Market.

Incredibly this market has been around since AD 43 when it was located beside the Thames. It recently celebrated 250 years of trading on its current site. It has survived in this area for 20 centuries and remains a centre for food excellence. The Market is busy, noisy and full of fantastic food. It is open Fridays and Saturdays however some stalls in the Market are open every day of the week.

I would recommend you time your visit close to lunch
Tapas BrindisaTapas BrindisaTapas Brindisa

One of London's most popular tapas restaurants is Brindisa
time and don’t make any plans to eat out, wild boar sausages, venison burgers, freshly cooked scallops and much more can be ordered (and queued for) at the Market.

Fresh coffees, the most incredible cheeses, olives and organically farmed meats, fresh fish, fruit, and vegetables can all be bought here.

There are also a number of excellent restaurants around the Market precinct. Roast, Tapas Brindisa (where you can enjoy breakfast on Friday and Saturdays) and Black and Blue are some of the restaurants with excellent reputations around the Market.

I had breakfast this morning at Brindisa. Chorizo, eggs and patatas fritas was washed down with the freshly squeezed orange juice.

Even if you don’t purchase any of the food, Borough Market is a great hub of activity and worth a visit, however if you come to Borough Market and buy nothing you will walk away full of regret. I came away with a few bits and pieces (olives of course which are my favourite) and headed back to the flat to do some planning for Spain.

I await news of my accommodation in Spain - in all honesty I'm not too concerned. There is always
Fresh Produce at Borough MarketFresh Produce at Borough MarketFresh Produce at Borough Market

Yep fresh pheasants, ducks and rabbit arrived this morning at the market.
accommodation available in a big city and any additional leg work to find a place has the added bonus of enabling to practice my Spanish under pressure. But enough of Spain for now, I have a Saturday in Borough to think about - another visit to the Market? It’s not beyond the realms of possibility!





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The Ginger PigThe Ginger Pig
The Ginger Pig

An institution at Borough Market
Chocolate TrufflesChocolate Truffles
Chocolate Truffles

If you like your chocolate you will love this stall.
Fruit and VegetableFruit and Vegetable
Fruit and Vegetable

...and of course mushrooms - so many varieties of them.
If you love your olives...If you love your olives...
If you love your olives...

You will love Borough Market!
Would you like some olives?Would you like some olives?
Would you like some olives?

One of the three olive suppliers in the Market
Friday Morning and the Sun ShinesFriday Morning and the Sun Shines
Friday Morning and the Sun Shines

A cold but sunny day as Borough Market starts to warm up for another busy weekend ahead.


Tot: 0.281s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 67; dbt: 0.083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb