BRRrrilliant Londontown


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Notting Hill
January 10th 2010
Published: February 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We had a fabulous time in Toronto thanks to Karen and Danielle, but we left the Canada cold for ... hmmm … more cold. The weather in London had taken a turn, in fact we were told numerous times that it was actually ‘adverse’ and would necessitate early shop closures, and cancelled trains and flights (we were lucky to get to London from Ireland and just as fortunate to get away). It became a running gag that the adverse weather conditions were the scapegoat for any and every misfortune. Cold soup? Adverse weather. Bad hair? Adverse weather. Lumpy bed? Adverse weather conditions! A particularly helpful shop girl was closing her much sought out boutique hours earlier than the times clearly printed on the door and when we inquired about why she repeated the same mantra and said that the next day looked equally uncertain if the conditions did not improve. We stepped back to watch the door lock and walked away without a single snowflake, raindrop, or icicle in sight.

Apparently our time in Toronto had given us some kind of super human ability to be out enjoying the city in what seemed to us to be slightly chilly, but pleasant conditions. While most of London was preparing for the imminent ice age, we went to anime exhibitions in the Tate Modern, drank cocktails at the Duke in Soho, and ate wood fire pizza by the meter. So, despite having to change hotels because the heating went out, we truly enjoyed the little treasures that make London such a fun city.

Seeing family was the primary motivation for our time here and Karen patiently let me and my beautiful sister have a five year catch up. Hosanna cooked us a lovely meal in Notting Hill and took us for drinks with London’s number one rated bartender … woohoo. We even managed to go to our first proper high tea. Of course, why go to a normal tea when you can go to tea and tassles? Hidden away in a business sector of the city, this burlesque show was a mixture of cheeky (in every sense of the word) performers, bad magicians and great jazz numbers. Hint: don’t eat too many of the little cucumber sandwiches, because you won’t have room for clotted cream and scones … brilliant!

We could have spent days wandering around the Victoria and Albert Museum and we never even made it to the museum of Natural History. However, we knew that we would be back in a few months and that it was imperative to leave for the Canary Islands right away before our flight was canceled due to ……



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



24th March 2010

Well darling girls - a slightly late comment - but hey High Tea in London - Whooho! I am sure that you are only to glad at the moment to be having the warmer weather. Hope I have finally got the "hang of" the blog etc. You know me - a little technically challenged!!! drr! xx to you both

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb