leaving england


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
June 26th 2003
Published: June 26th 2003
Edit Blog Post

So Monday afternoon i was a girl on a mission... I wanted to see some Dali. So i headed down to where i thought the exhibit was, just to find out it cost £10. In front of the musuem, i was handed a postcard advertising the Saatchi collection, which happened to be right next door to Dali. So i went to the Saatchi instead.(quick summary about Saatchi, he collects known and unknown British art-- if Saatchi buys a piece of your work, you have good career prospects). The main exhibit was Damien Hurst, who's work can best be summarized as animal segements in formaldihyde. He had some brillant silk screens which took medicatin labels, and replaced the names of the medicines with fatty British foods. There were many innovative pieces, like paintings with embroidered sections, and clay pots with intracate designs etched into them, and brightly painted as well.

Speaking of fatty British foods Sarah and I went down the street to the S&M cafe(the Sausage and Mash Cafe) where we proceeded to order the house specialty, sausage. I got lamb & mint sausage and pork, leek & ginger sausage on traditional mash with a cider gravy. Good Stuff. Sarahs huge chicken, tarragon and tomato sausage sandwich (with gravy) was also yummy.

Tuesday morning i spent a while in the tower of London. Really cool stone walls and diamonds.
In the afternoon i sucked it up and went to Dali museum. Very surreal. I liked the scupltures the best. Sarah and i feasted in Chinatown before catching The Madness of George Dubya, which while good, was not as grounded in reality as i expected, and mostly full of one-liners. Thanks to Sarah for joining me for the play, and for being wonderful to me in London!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb