Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from Kilburn
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Kilburn
Latest Blogs from Kilburn
- April 24th 2012 A bedtime story for my little NuNu
by Words: 875 Photos: 0
- November 2nd 2009 Halloween Party London-Style
by Words: 642 Photos: 34
- October 11th 2009 The crazy London life and Dublin's epic fail...
by Words: 1080 Photos: 0
- March 16th 2009 London
by Words: 219 Photos: 0
- March 10th 2009 Arrived in London
by Words: 236 Photos: 0
- October 26th 2008 Home for now in London town
by Words: 600 Photos: 8
- September 17th 2008 London
by Words: 59 Photos: 1
- June 23rd 2008 Preparations and nerves
by Words: 185 Photos: 1
- May 8th 2008 Hostel dramas, or, "This place is better than a soap opera"
by Words: 609 Photos: 0
- May 6th 2008 Mastering the art of sucking it up
by Words: 310 Photos: 0
- May 4th 2008 Up and Down
by Words: 215 Photos: 0
- May 3rd 2008 Well, I expected an adventure ...
by Words: 1199 Photos: 0
- January 9th 2008 I made it!
by Words: 105 Photos: 1
- October 31st 2007 The End - For Now...
by Words: 5585 Photos: 24
- September 2nd 2007 London Sightseeing Part 1
by Words: 87 Photos: 9
- August 23rd 2007 Lifestyles of the rich & the famous...
by Words: 481 Photos: 4
- April 29th 2007 Transit London
by Words: 430 Photos: 0
- February 8th 2007 SNOW
by Words: 242 Photos: 1
- January 4th 2007 The New Year rolls in - London 2007
by Words: 109 Photos: 0
- December 25th 2006 1 sleep to go...........
by Words: 251 Photos: 0