Touchdown


Advertisement
Published: April 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This is the first chance I've had to log in since leaving Maryborough, so I'm playing catch-up ...

(Thursday)

“Flight attendants, take your seats now! Passengers, secure your seatbelts.”

The flight captain’s urgent instructions soon scattered the attendants and was followed by the mass clicking of seat belts, a few moments of turbulence, and then … silence.

That minor drama as we flew through a thunderstorm out of Singapore was the only hiccup during our 30+ hours of travel from Maryborough to Southhampton, England.

Mind you, the tight security, including police walking around the Aubi Dhabi airport carrying semi-automatic weapons, was there for a reason considering their neighbours’ history. Although a tad daunting, it did make us feel secure.

The Arabian flight service, Etihad, on which we travelled from Brisbane, was also run with military precision, and excellent service. We figured that being more economical than other airlines would equate to less service, but the contrary was true. I’d certainly recommend Etihad Airlines – their service was top notch, particularly the food – the best I’ve experienced on any airline anywhere.

For example: The brekkie menu just before landing at Heathrow included fresh fruit, yoghurt, warm bakery and preserve, Mixed pepper frittata with lamb sausage, paprika potatoes and grilled tomato), Soujuk omelette with harissa potatoes, foul and humus tahina, or French toast with caramelised banana slices.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 32; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb