Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from Croydon
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Croydon
Latest Blogs from Croydon
- September 1st 2012 Croydon tram lines to the nazca lines
by Words: 1193 Photos: 4
- February 13th 2012 A Guide to Travelling: The aims of The Lad Traveller
by Words: 305 Photos: 0
- October 19th 2011 September 2011 in London/Beijing
by Words: 1998 Photos: 49
- October 7th 2011 August 2011 in London
by Words: 949 Photos: 29
- August 13th 2011 July 2011 in London
by Words: 2184 Photos: 111
- July 5th 2011 June 2011 in London
by Words: 2314 Photos: 112
- September 30th 2009 Longing For More
by Words: 369 Photos: 6
- September 25th 2009 Londres
by Words: 224 Photos: 0
- December 25th 2008 Heyyy!
by Words: 441 Photos: 0
- September 29th 2008 A Long Goodbye
by Words: 276 Photos: 16
- August 18th 2008 Todays menu
by Words: 44 Photos: 5
- August 13th 2008 Day 1: London
by Words: 134 Photos: 0
- August 13th 2008 London Day 2
by Words: 214 Photos: 0
- August 1st 2008 Frenching it up
by Words: 2065 Photos: 6
- July 24th 2008 Madrid to San Seb
by Words: 2099 Photos: 10
- July 14th 2008 The solution to knife crime & the death of the family-from a travellers perspective
by Words: 3042 Photos: 0
- May 26th 2008 I left too many jerseys at home...
by Words: 1675 Photos: 13
- May 25th 2008 Hold tight, red light!
by Words: 56 Photos: 0
- May 22nd 2008 Cute little cottage on Little Roke Ave...owight?
by Words: 1004 Photos: 0
- January 27th 2008 All the sights!!!
by Words: 59 Photos: 5