Excursion to Rainham Marshes


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Essex » Purfleet
October 11th 2010
Published: October 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We heard about Rainham Marshes from the vouchers published by Southwest Train. In order to get "two for one admission ticket", we travelled to Purfleet with C2C train from Fenchurch Street near Tower Hill on 16 August. After leaving Rainham, we could see the marshes and the building with red and white stripes from the window.

After leaving Purfleet station, we walked through the residential area and riverside along the Thames river. Coming to the Thames Estuary, we could see London's skyscrapers beyond. The building of the visitor centre of RSPB Rainham marshes looked very striking.

We showed the train ticket and voucher at the reception, and got discounted admission entires. We were then given the map and told that the area contains 2.5-mile circular trail with woodland, reedbed, and marshes. Having arrived at the site at lunch time, we decided to have a picnic before kicking in our exploration.

We walked down to the marshes via walkway from the visitor centre. There were dozens of cows on the marshes. We decided to go round the 2.5 mile course in the anti clockwise direction. Many shrubs and trees had berries and fruits, and they looked very attractive in the woodland. There were several kinds of mushrooms growing on the ground. The study board warned us that attractive looking fruits and mushrooms were very poisonous, and advised anybody not to eat or even touch them.

Afterwards, we came out to the board path which was laid on the water. There were many acquatic and water plants thriving on the water and banks. Following the trail, we reached the Hide faving Aveley flash. We saw a couple of grebes, several coots, and ducks swimming or sitting on the bank from the Hide.

The weather turned out much better than expected. There was not a drop of rain fallen on Rainham Marshes on 16 August. The weather remained rather pleasant with considerable spells of sunshine, and it encouraged us to walk.

We had a nice and peaceful time at Wennington Marsh sitting on the bench with the view of waterfowl quietly coming out from reedbeds. The site of Rainham Marshes was once used for military purposes. There were several numbers of former military remains among the sizeable marshes such as Firing Range Butt and magazines where gun powder was kept.

The extensive construction works, e.g. extention of the footpath, and terrace around woodland, marshes, and reedbeds are in progress, and the planned facilities illustrated on the map.

We enjoyed the 2.5 mile circular trail and felt that we had received plenty of fresh air.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 64; dbt: 0.1204s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb