A Family Reunion


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Essex » Colchester
August 31st 2011
Published: September 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we took a train trip from London to Colchester. For relative novices to the London rail system we managed very well. After a change of trains we arrived at Liverpool Street station with plenty of time to spare. Being very wise it is cheaper to have a coffee to go and so we wandered the station concourse supping hot coffees. For some reason that seems to be a legacy of the IRA bombings of the past there are no rubbish bins in the London railway stations. So where do you put empty coffee cups? Find a table belonging to an outdoor cafe and quietly place empty cups for someone else to find a bin.
The train trip to Colchester passes the 2012 Olympic Stadium and it is not long before you are speeding through the Essex countryside. On arrival at Colchester we were met by a cousin, the reason for our trip. We had a great day out. Our very knowledgeable guide showed us around some of the historical sights of the city. Colchester has been a Roman and Norman town and because of this there are fine examples of a Roman wall and a Norman castle. The local council must pride itself on its parks and gardens with some wonderful displays of late summer blooms.
After a lengthy talkfest and guided tour it was time to retrace our steps back to Northwood. We feel we are no longer novices when it comes to using the London Underground. With Oyster cards in hand we joined the evening rush hour crowd and headed for our train. Timing was perfect because our train arrived right on cue and we were homeward bound.
Tomorrow it is haircut and suit day in preparation for the wedding we are attending on Saturday.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.47s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 48; dbt: 0.2224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb