Rye, East Sussex, UK


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » East Sussex » Rye
May 2nd 2011
Published: May 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Oh what a lovely town. So peaceful and pretty. It was our bank holiday day break. We went on a short stroll around the town, and then had some fish and chips from Marino's Fish Bar. The town is pretty much composed of very old buildings and churches. They make you feel like you're in some sort of Medieval world, almost as if the time stood still for a while. We also visited a beautiful coffe house The Apothecary, located in a B&B under the exact same name. Oh what a stunning place this was. The inner decor reflects Medieval and generic historical influences. We sat in super comfy chairs, sipping warm fresh lattes from beautiful fancy glasses.

According to tour guidebooks, the name Rye has Norman French roots. The term itself (as in "la Rie") refers to a bank. Historians and archaeologists have indicated that Rye's original location was on a large English Channel embayment - The Rye Camber. It was one of the safest harbours back then, and was associated with safe anchorage.

Rye played a big role in shipping and storing of various materials. Mainly iron was shipped and stored from the Wealden Iron Industry during the Roman Times.

It's a lovely town, characterised by so much soul and beauty so hard not to fall in love with, within the first few minutes of entering Rye. They have their own castle, a castle museum, lots of beautiful small churches, as well as many historic ancient houses, which used to be occupied by famous poets, writers and other influential people.

Finally, a number of antique (some of which are charity) shops can be found in Rye. We have seen an array of unique objects and souvenirs, all were relatively cheap surprisingly.

We will be coming back 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 64; dbt: 0.07s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb