Orientation


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » East Sussex » Hailsham
September 7th 2006
Published: September 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

8-9:30am - Breakfast
The breakfast food here is better than what they serve at lunch and dinner. Too bad it's so early.

10-10:45 - Introduction to the Student Services Team & Guide to Surviving the First Week at the Castle
Think I remember any of this? I was too busy trying not to fall asleep.

10:45-11:30 - Introduction to the Operations Team
We met the Operations Director, the Estate Manager, the Bars Manager, and the Food Services Manager.

11:30-12 - Sussex Police Safety Talk
Apparently we're in one of the safest places in England. Good to know.

12-13:00 - Castle Tour
Yeah they do 24 hour time here. Now I have to do math to figure out what time it is :-(
They showed us around the castle and told us some of the history of it.

13-14:00 - Lunch
Finally.

14-14:45 - Residence Life Talk
They basically just told us to be nice to our neighbors, don't break things, and don't make noise during quiet hours.

14:45-15:30 - Computer Seminar
We got our computer accounts set up and did our final registration for classes.

15:30-17:00 - Garden and Grounds Tour
See pictures in "Gardens" gallery.

17-19:00 - "Ye Olde Castle Barbeque"
We ate in the castle courtyard. The burgers here are weird.. they're shaped different and they taste more like sausages. And they gave us bottles of water, but it was all carbonated mineral water, bleh. They have alot of that here. I found it funny too that they mentioned the queen on the label. "By appointment to her majesty Queen Elizabeth II." Like that makes it any better.

21-23:00 - Bonfire
They called it a bonfire, but it wasn't that at all. Just a small campfire. We roasted marshmallows on the ends of metal coat hangers and made s'mores out of cookies and Cadbury chocolate. Cadbury's the most common kind of chocolate here. It comes in a variety of forms, including just regular plain chocolate bars. Where-as in the U.S. I think we only really see it at Easter, in the form of the "Cadbury Egg."


...my package of Cadbury chocolate bars I bought at a local grocery store :-D

Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb