Seaside day trip to Brighton


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » East Sussex » Brighton
July 31st 2010
Published: February 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So considering it was the middle of summer, we headed off to Brighton. It was a typical English summer day, drizzly with cloud cover (yet still enough for me to get burnt!). Brighton is England’s fairly pathetic version of a beach town but nevertheless draws a big crowd in summer for punters to enjoy the stone beach, tacky beach cafes and grey skiies...you have to wonder why!

We started our day with breakfast at Bill's Cafe. This place was amazing. A very rustic cafe, kind of like you were in an old warehouse, and there are barrell and boxes all around you with the ingredients that they use, it was all organic food and we felt like hippy's eating in there. It was great food.

he biggest tourist attraction and building in Brighton is the Royal Pavillion, a monster of a palace that looks like the Taj Mahal that was built from 1787-1811 by George, Prince of Wales (who went on to be King George IV in 1820). Good old Georgie was only born in 1762, so I guess that made him 25 when he started building is. It was built as George’s summer house, somewhere for him to entertain people. He used to only have a maximum of 30 guests at the house, although the house was absolutely massive and over the top. God knows how much it cost to build the house, but I reckon he could have built a nice little 2 bed townhouse and it would have done the trick. The problem with royalty is that they have access to money, so they spend it, no matter how unnecessary it really is. At 25, Georgie spotted an opportunity. His old man, King George III was declared clinically insane, so he had full access to the royal purse. Use and abuse he did.

From there we went to Brighton Pier. The pier is a bit like Santa Monica beach pier in Los Angeles, except without the beautiful people. Instead, the Brighton Pier has scary carny folk that get you to play their lame games or go on the rides. We wander to the end of the pier and back, admiring the fact that people actually pay £2 per half hour to sit on deck chairs and take in the carnival atmosphere.

For dinner we went to a place called Harry Ramsden’s World Famous Fish & Chips. As the website (http://www.harryramsdens.co.uk/) and the shop front declare, it is world famous. I found their haddock pretty good, but probably on par with the old broady fish n chip shop. The did lose a point for serving it with mushy peas though (something else I don’t understand). Not sure what qualifies a fish and chips world famous, but it probably didn't deserve the world famous tagline.

Brighton is a nice day trip from London, but for us Aussies, it is fairly disappointing as a beach town.

Advertisement



20th February 2011

hmmm...
Besides the fact that you've now made me seriously hungry for fish and chips, with non mushy peas, well done on the interesting read, really enjoyed that and will be judgying the world-class title holding joint myself as soon as I can. I also wonder sometimes where these logos' tag's titles stem, from and what makes it world class? Most of the time it just depends on location and marketing. Looking forward to hearing some more from you, where are you heading off to next?

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.1073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb