St Peters Church – The unofficial Cathedral of Brighton


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » East Sussex » Brighton
October 3rd 2009
Published: October 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This was originally built as a Chapel of Ease for St Nicholas Church (14th century.) A Chapel of ease is a sort of overspill church, but also closer to many of the parishioners. St Peters Church is on the level, between London Road and Lewes Road, occupying its own little island of green. Building began in 1824, and the church was consecrated in 1828. The first stone laid and the consecration service were performed by the same man; Reverend Carr. The building, like its sister church St Nicholas is grade II listed. It was designed by Sir Charles Barry (architect of the Houses of Parliament) in Gothic Revival style. He won the right to be the designer in an open competition.
A spire was designed by Barry in 1841 but was never built. There were originally galleries, but these were taken down.
The original apse was replaced with a chancel in 1898, its yellow sandstone contrasting with the white Portland stone elsewhere.
Most of the stained glass is by Charles Kempe. One window represents Queen Victoria.
The church was made redundant in December 2007, but is due to recommence services next month; Sun 1st Nov 2009, after being taken over by Holy Trinity Brompton, instigators of the Alpha Course.
The church has a large pipe organ built by Henry Willis. It was one of three almost identical instruments. One of the others was in the Dome, but was broken up c1930. The other was in Hove Town Hall, but is now at a boys school in Elstree.
In 1873, St Peters became Brightons Parish church. The church hall was built in 1927 in memory of those lost in the first world war.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb