We Are Staying Up! (Brighton 2009)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » East Sussex » Brighton
May 4th 2009
Published: May 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It’s been a long, traumatic season for fans of Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club. The prodigal son returned at the start of the season but Micky Adams was a changed man and the midas touch of his previous reign was missing. Sadly victories over the mighty Manchester City and League One Champions Leicester kept him in the job for just a little too long. By the time he decided to go and Russell Slade came in, we looked doomed to relegation to the English basement division. You can keep your Manchester Uniteds, your Arsenals, Chelseas and Liverpools. This is the true heart of English football!

Slade had other ideas though and without strike partners Nicky Forster and Glenn Murray, Brighton were forced to call upon some unlikely heroes. The last few games of the season saw a dramatic upturn in fortune as Gary Hart, back from injury, linked up with Lloyd Owusu, on loan from Cheltenham who cannot afford to play him, to steer the Albion to several important victories.

We went to cheer them on at Huddersfield knowing that defeat was likely and relegation still more than possible. There we met up with Phil who had flown in from Toronto, Canada, for the occasion, and Peter who had flown in from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It was a nice, sunny weekend, and Huddersfield proved to be a friendly town for eating and drinking late into the night. Saturday came and we met up with many more friends before making our way to the Galpharm Stadium where our heroes battle back twice from a goal behind to snatch a priceless point. Sadly Gary Hart limped off after just 9 minutes with a hamstring injury but the loss of our talisman did not deter the team. At the end the travelling Seagulls fans celebrated and the players came over to applaud us. It was a fantastic day.

The following weekend the “Seagulls Flying Squad” gathered for their annual celebration. From Spain to Singapore they came, from Plymouth, Yeovil, Scotland, and even some pretenders from closer to home! 15 of us gathered for an Indian on the Friday night followed by some pretty serious drinking in the hotel bar!

On Saturday everyone was nervous about the outcome. It was all in our hands but in such a turbulent season, this meant nothing. We escaped the tension by meeting up with one of Russ’ oldest school friends for a coffee. Others disappeared into the pubs to ease the pressure.

When we got to Withdean Stadium it was filling up nicely. The match was a sell-out and the “Theatre of Trees” was about to host it’s biggest ever league crowd. The sun shone brightly all day but the players were nervous. You could have cut the tension with a knife. It was to be no classic football match! News soon came in that rivals Carlisle had taken the lead against Millwall so we were back in relegation trouble. Thankfully Leeds soon took control of their game against Northampton and so we only needed to draw. That’s a dangerous position to be in when you have one of the worst home records in the league and have conceded many late goals in games throughout the season. Half time came and went and with half an hour left to play, the crowd went wild. Nicky Forster, returning from injury, latched on to a rebound to smash the ball home. Brighton were safe, unless they conceded two late goals. Amazingly Stockport, with nothing to play for, continued to press. Michel Kuipers in goal was called upon several times but after an agonising wait, the referee brought a close to the league campaign and Brighton were safe. Next season sees big games against Charlton, Norwich and Southampton instead of Burton, Accrington and Grimsby. What a difference a few weeks had made.

As the final whistle blew the fans ignored the signs asking them to keep off the pitch. Malcolm Stuart, our retiring physio, was hoisted onto the shoulders of the faithful as the players made a swift exit to avoid the mob! They were marvellous scenes indeed, but I’m sure we’d all rather be pushing for promotion this time next season please!

An evening of festivity followed in Pinocchio’s Italian restaurant where 22 of us ate, drank and celebrated the relative success of the season. The next morning it was time for the Flying Squad to disperse and make their way back to their different corners of the globe. No doubt next season they will all be back, maybe joined by more as it will be the tenth time they have gathered.





Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry
Oh Gary Hart!Oh Gary Hart!Oh Gary Hart!

Stretching his hamstring. Was it troubling him before the game then?
bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take the time from me
And I’ll sing you a song as we march along
Of Sussex by the Sea.

Good old Sussex by the Sea,
Good old Sussex by the Sea,
And we’re going up to win the cup
For Sussex by the Sea.

For we’re the men from Sussex
Sussex by the sea,
We plough and sow and reap and mow
And useful men are we:
And when you go to Sussex,
Whoever you may be,
You can tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the Sea.








Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Flying SquadFlying Squad
Flying Squad

Drinks on the night before the big game
WithdeanWithdean
Withdean

Trying hard to make it look impressive
Malcolm StuartMalcolm Stuart
Malcolm Stuart

We'll miss seeing you bound up to a fallen idol with your magic sponge! Notice Gully on the left!
Lovely DesertLovely Desert
Lovely Desert

Diet starts tomorrow eh Phil!!
Charlie on the DSCharlie on the DS
Charlie on the DS

Jim looks like he wants a go!!
The Galpharm StadiumThe Galpharm Stadium
The Galpharm Stadium

Huddersfield's home


11th May 2009

Congrats to the Seagulls!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb