Swanage


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Dorset » Swanage
September 26th 2013
Published: September 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Corfe CastleCorfe CastleCorfe Castle

These old castle remains have had a really tough time over the centuries. Quaint town next to it is a great example of the area.
It's a number of days since we made a blog entry - last weekend in Dorchester I think.

We've been here in Swanage, Dorset since Sunday and are about to leave tomorrow (Friday). Seems we've packed in a lot of touring and walking since we've been here and found a lot of places to visit and cross off our genealogical list.

A very good friend we met through Facebook and the Swanage page has taken time from her busy life to show us very interesting villages and buildings around this part of the UK. Linda Welsh and her husband Derek, lifelong residents of Swanage, had a great meal with us the other night at a restaurant on the town bayside.

Our accommodation is very good although we had to ask for a room change due to the sky high room we were first allocated. We chose to stay at Purbeck House Hotel, which was established as a palatial home for one of my ancestral forebears George Burt, who was big time in this town back in the mid 1800s. Writer Thomas Hardy once called him the "King of Swanage" and is said to have featured dear old George
Lulworth CoveLulworth CoveLulworth Cove

Take a look at an aerial shot of this unique little cove (Google Earth) and imagine smugglers and pirates using its shelter for their activities.
in his novel "The Mayor of Casterbridge"

The locals don't seem to think the age and history of the villages and old buildings is all that interesting but we were very impressed and soaked up the atmosphere and historic associations with my Burt ancestors.

Tomorrow we drive east to Gatwick Airport, south of London, in preparation for our flight to Barcelona where we join our Western Mediterranean cruise ship.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Swanage BaySwanage Bay
Swanage Bay

A bit more subdued at this time of the year. Imagine this path and the beach road below in high summer, when the town's famous Swanage Carnival & Regatta is held. The population swells from about 13,000 to 30,000.
Purbeck HousePurbeck House
Purbeck House

Our base for our stay. This building was built by ancestor George Burt and following death fell into disuse and was for a time a convent.


Tot: 0.325s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0881s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb