Heidi's first trip to the Mountains - does the Lake District count?


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Penrith
March 12th 2011
Published: April 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

With close friends getting married in the Lake District what better excuse than to spend an extra few days away in the Lakes?


We travelled up on the Friday afternoon, expecting a pretty awful journey but were pleasantly surprised that it didn't take too long, Heidi was fine in the car and actually being forced to stop to feed her and change nappies meant we weren't too tired on arrival.


Centre Parcs was to be our base for the week and once the wedding was finished we would be in a great location to explore the lakes, and if the weather was poor just mess around in the pools.


The day of the wedding saw the girls get ready on their own while the boys all met in a local pub for a full English breakfast and a few sharpeners to get the day off on the right footing. The weather looked as though it would hold and all was set for a great English wedding.


A beautiful service followed by an amazing reception with the happy couple getting the send off they deserved! Brilliant day all round.


The rest of the week was spent swimming (or floating in Heidi's case) in the centre parcs tropical paradise, eating nice meals and a few days trips out.


Those of note were the gentle hike to the top of "Saddleback". With Heidi not quite able to walk I carried her all the way in the Baby Bjorn on my front. A few precarious moments of scrambling and a few strange looks from other hikers we made it safely to the top and down in 5 hours - taking the challenging route might not have been the easiest but it was the most fun!


Another side trip to the home of Beatrix Potter and the obligatory purchase of her entire collection of children’s books made for a nice day out and also a visit to the Keswick Pencil museum too passed the time.


All in all a pretty relaxing week in the Lakes. It is a stunning part of the country and one to be explored further another time!




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



21st April 2011
lakes 048

Fantastic picture.
21st April 2011
lakes 069

Fantastic photo!!
I always take photos of empty boats. I find them alluring. Nice photo.

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb