Reaching New Heights (Though Not Much to See)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Lake District
July 29th 2012
Published: July 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The weather this morning was not perfect. Fine drizzle was interspersed with proper rain. Sadly, the waterproof trousers had to come out ... as did the waterproof top.

I set off along the lake and, arriving in the village, began the long, slow climb up Whiteless Breast and onto Whiteless Pike. Occasionally, cold showers lashed whilst a bitter wind threatened to grab one and hurl one down the slope.

The view from the top was spectacular, even with the clouds rolling by. Robinson and Snockrigg sat in front with Haystacks, High Crag and High Stile filling the middle ground whilst Great Gable loomed in the murk at the back. Fantastic!!!

Then came Saddle Gate and Whiteless Edge, a little hair raising due to the wind. Climbing down and then back up across Wandope Moss to find the little pond that marked a cross-roads.

To the left, Grasmoor lurked, hidden in the mist whilst to the right, Eel Crag (incorrectly marked at Crag Hill on the maps) lay also hidden. What a choice - climb either and you'd see nothing!

Sure enough, Grasmoor's summit remained shrouded affording no view whatever, though lunch in the saddle which seemed warmer proved a welcome pleasure.

With the wait for lunch, the weather had improved and the climb up Eel Crag proved a little warm! The view from the Trig. Point was amazing, particularly with the sun coming out. Keswick was bathed in sunlight whilst Grisedale Pike sat like a black lump waiting for some sun.

No time for stopping as there was the descent across The Scar to complete, proving rather scary at times. Finally, the last summit was made - Sail. After that it was plain (sailing?) as the only way was down - 2 hours back into Buttermere.

What a great day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb