Trail to Pentewan


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » St Austell
July 15th 2014
Published: July 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


On the second day of our holiday we were itching to get outside after our long car journey the day before. The sun with its omniscient power, must have know it was the first day of our holiday: It's warmth gradually increased, burning the clouds as it rose through the sky. We decided to take a circular walk we found in the very informative brochure in our villa. We set off: Through woodland and stream we walked, hoping to wear Elmo (our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) out - we had discovered this to be nearly impossible over the last two years. The stream sparkled, thanking the sun for its summer rays. As we walked our stiff post journey legs, mum stopping every second to take a picture, we came to a sign after about a mile saying 'Pentewan 2 miles'. Instead of carrying on the circular path back around, we decided to carry on to this unknown place- its about how spontaneous our family gets ;-). We asked a lady walking back the other way if we were heading the right way to Pentewan. After discovering it was pronounced Pen-tu-wen and giving our tourist status away, she confirmed we were heading the right way. Elmo was panting 100 pants per minute, so when we forked off into the shade of a wood it gave us salvation from the fierce sun.

The trees unfolded into a little stoned courtyard. A bike-hire centre, surf shop and clothes shop encircled the tiny square. We had reached Pentewan! We walked through the courtyard and down the street. Every other house hosted a little knick-knack shop, selling bucket and spades and flags, they have become a rarity but I believe are fundamental in making a seaside town. Each shop boasted fresh Cornish ice cream- we were happy! We passed ' The Ship Inn' people sitting outside enjoying pub lunches in the sun. Around the corner was where we found our cup of tea, 'The Cove' a quaint tea shop with an adjacent shop - a white stone cottage housing the two. Elmo was far too hot and bothered (which turns him slightly hyper) to sit in or even outside the café. So we bought sandwiches from the little shop. My mum and sister cannot eat gluten, so were just going to settle for ice cream. But to our surprise the lady said she could make them a gluten free roll or baguette, with whatever filling they fancied. What a surprise for such a little tea shop in a little town! Unfortunately we were not allowed on the beach with Elmo, so we settled outside on a nearby bench, surrounded by white- washed cottages. The lady in the shop gave us a free ice-cream cone for Elmo, so he was satisfied whilst we ate our lunch. We thoroughly enjoyed our sandwiches, we all went for Tuna, especially my mum and sister, which it was a phenomenon for due to not normally having any choice when eating out! After eating, we were refuelled and ready to relish the walk home.

Advertisement



26th July 2014

A very warm welcome to you from Luxembourg !
Enjoy your travels ! Karim
7th August 2014

Thank you! Happy travelling!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb