Chapter 2 - DAY 18 - Dublin to Chester


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cheshire » Chester
August 19th 2011
Published: August 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Penny Lane LiverpoolPenny Lane LiverpoolPenny Lane Liverpool

Made famous by the Beatles song of the same name - part of our Beatles tour!
IRELAND TO WALES TO ENGLAND

Today we had an early morning start, breakfast at 6.30am so we could make the 8.20am sailing from Dublin to the Welsh port of Holyhead. We travelled with Stena and the ship was huge (significantly bigger than the Interislander Ferries at home). Once again the weather gods were on our side and the trip across the Irish Sea was a calm one. There were a group of football supporters sitting near us, by 9am there table was full (literally) of empty beer bottles-they were in for a big day!
Once we arrived in Wales we headed north through the country side to the small seaside village of Conwy, we passed a huge castle ruin as we can me into the city. We just had a half our break before heading to our destination for the day Chester, long enough to discover they do a very nice sausage roll in Conwy.

CHESTER
We hopped over the border back into England to Chester, a very historic and very beautiful city full of black and white Tudor buildings. Chester is a walled city and you can climb up on the wall and walk around it. Most of
ChesterChesterChester

Really beautiful and REALLY busy
the central city is pedestrianised so we could wander around at our leisure. We had a brief walking tour with Cheryl (our guide) before being left to explore the centre of town for a couple of hours. Another beautiful city full of charm and character, would have been great to be able to stay longer and explore more – but such is life when you are coach touring. Chester is a significant holiday destination in the UK and it’s easy to see why.
Our hotel was also excellent so after a couple of pretty uncomfortable nights in Dublin it was great to get a good night’s sleep in a decent bed. Overall our accommodation has been really good just got a bad room in Dublin.

LIVERPOOL – BEATLES TOUR
At 4.30 we regrouped for the short trip up to Liverpool (about half and hour )and a bonus Liverpool City/Beatles tour. Cheryl is a fully accredited Liverpool/Beatles Guide and she added this option to our itinerary. Liverpool is much nicer than I thought it would be and there has been a lot of redevelopment around the waterfront. The real buzz (especially for Jeanette was visiting some of the places that
Do ya like me paper!Do ya like me paper!Do ya like me paper!

Hutt News on tour goes to Liverpool - home of the Beatles!
were synonymous with the Beatles. We drove around the area they grew up, stopped at Penny Lane, the gates of Strawberry Fields, the house where john Lennon grew up, passed the school where Paul McCartney and George Harrison went to school and the church where McCartney and Lennon met. Plenty of Beatles music in the bus and an excellent commentary from Cheryl – this was a real bonus for us!
Great to see a bit of Liverpool the home of Liverpool and Everton English Premier League teams – unfortunately we never passed either Anfield or Goodison Parks. Still just a week until we are at Old Trafford for Man U v Arsenal -HUGE!




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Cavern Club - LiverpoolCavern Club - Liverpool
Cavern Club - Liverpool

Where the Beatles played almost 300 gigs


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb