Botanical Gardens, The Kettle House and Cambridge


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire » Cambridge
September 27th 2007
Published: October 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We awoke to a semi-overcast, or partially sunny morning and we were looking forward to jumping on the bikes to explore Cambridge with Ann. Of course, by the time we had breakfast, said goodbye to Steve who was off on a business trip, saw Ruth and Katy off to school and organized ourselves it had started to rain. We were determined to persevere so we bundled up, saddled up and headed out to the Botanical Gardens. What an expansive grounds! We enjoyed finding new varieties of the plants we already know and love as well as tons of trees, plants and shrubs we had never seen before. We captured lots of blooms and plants on the digital cameras along with many of their names so we can hopefully find a few to add to our gardens at home. I also hope to use some of these pictures to make note cards.

We enjoyed a quick lunch at the café on the garden grounds. Then we jumped back on the bikes for a trip further into town and the Kettle House. Ann left us at the museum with a map and great directions to town and back home, as it was time to collect Katy from school.

The Kettle House was the house of the curator at Cambridge college. He collected art from new artists during the 20th century and was unable to talk the college into buying it, so he purchased it himself. He had an amazing collection of art: sculptures, paintings and drawings. When he passed away, he donated the house and his collection to the college. If you’re ever in Cambridge it’s definitely worth your time to stroll through the rooms to discover this hidden treasure. The staff is very knowledgeable about both the artists and the house and are more than willing to share personal stories and information about both.

After a nice stroll around the streets of Cambridge - which look quite Germanic in design and color - we located the shop Past Times just where we expected it to be. Then we found our way back through the park and across the cycling bridge to the Gill’s house. And all of that accomplished at rush hour!

Dinner was a perfect salad with salmon and sliced almonds. Why does it never occur to me to prepare salad like that? I’ll have to add it to my menu choices!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Kimarie and Ann Kimarie and Ann
Kimarie and Ann

Bundled up for the bike ride and garden tour.


Tot: 0.245s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb