April 12th


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Bristol County » Bristol
April 13th 2013
Published: April 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Having returned from a snow covered Wales, we decided to explore the local stretch of the River Frome, which turned out to be a shallow slow stream, so we went over to Downend and saw a fast flowing beautiful Frome river.

The next day we caught a bus into Bristol and visited the Museum and saw a real flying box kite made for the movie “The magnificent men in their flying machines. We walked up a very steep hill as to Cabot tower a memorial to one of the first men to go to America.

We visited the 900 years old Bristol Cathedral , St Marys Redcliffe (infamous for its involvement in the slave trade) and a church that was bombed and left as a memorial of those thousands who died in the Blitz.

Michael and Barbara took us to Lacock ,a National Trust village often used in period film productions as well as Harry Potter movies. It was a superbly preserved old English town. We then drove to Gloucester to see the 1000 year old Cathedral and the famous docks that are now little used except for tourists.

We then went on a pilgrimage to Weston Super Mare ( I drove all the way)where we walked for four hours along the promenade then onto the new pier and marvelled at how anyone could think mud flats were beautiful, since the tide was almost out of site. We saw some superannuated donkeys and a Helter Skelter.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb