Day 89: England, Windsor, London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Berkshire » Windsor
August 3rd 2006
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 89: England, WindsorDay 89: England, WindsorDay 89: England, Windsor

Try climbing over this fence
Day 89: Thursday 3rd August 2006: Sunny: An exciting day ahead - meeting friends and family. After brekky it was off to the train (which was late leaving) to Reading, change of train to Slough and then change to Windsor and this train was also running 1/2 hour late and all were very very slow, consequently we were very late arriving at Windsor where Jean and Keith had been waiting for ages. Keith had had a banner ready with "Welcome Jenny and Vera", but was gone to move the car. Never mind, it was wonderful to have them there to meet us.
After hugs and kisses and hellos etc it was into the car to go to our B&B - great - when we eventually found it the woman had no record of our booking (had phone call to them from home to confirm booking), so a bit of a dilemma. Keith suggested we go to the pub for lunch and talk it over, and why not come and stay with them. That would have been wonderful but they had an extremely busy weekend with family coming to stay and a christening to boot. We needed to let John and Beryl know what was happening, and they suggested we stay with them - they had the room and nothing more planned for that weekend - so we thought that would be just the best thing - and as Keith said " it was all meant to be". We enjoyed our lunch then strolled to Windsor Castle as that was on our "must do" list" - even though it was a quick viewing, it was worth it.

With Jean and Keith we strolled back to the station to meet John and Beryl - family we had contacted through their son Peter (via the internet) who had been out to Australia in Feb 2006 and had come to visit. So it was quite a noisy session when all of us met, introductions all round and lots of noisy chatter. All too soon it was time to swap our luggage from one car to the other and say thanks and goodbye to Jean and Keith with hugs and kisses, and on to another adventure with new found rellies and with a lot to talk about.

Day 90: Friday 4th. August: Sunny: Staying with family is just fantastic. Feeling very comfortable and
Day 89: England, WindsorDay 89: England, WindsorDay 89: England, Windsor

Jean at Windsor Station
had such a wonderful good nights sleep. Brekky then off to London - the London Eye (on the Must Do list) and quite enjoyable with great views; next was a tour of the Parliament Houses - very interesting and because parliament was not sitting we could see more of the chambers. Had time to spare so decide the Cabinet War Rooms might be interesting - an absolute MUST to anyone who has not already been and one of the best museums. Guys and Gals alike would find this well worth the fee to experience for hours the displays, history and tunnels. Amazing. A stroll along the Embankment, and a bit of shopping for the grandchildren before going home on the train. Lovely day.

Day 91: Saturday 5th. August: Sunny and hot: A visit to the local library to send e-mails to all to let them know where we were. Pete and Ruth came over - great to see them again. We had a wak through country lanes, over bridges crossing motorways, through villages to a pub for lunch at Fimley. That afternoon John’s sister Diane and husband Malcolm came over with daughter Lisa - very pleasant time had by all. Great day, great night.

Day 92: Week 14: Sunday 6th. August: Sunny: Breakfast over, last minute packing, hugs, kisses, thanks and goodbyes to John and Beryl as Pete and Ruth arrived to take us to Heathrow, and then it was a repeat of hugs, kisses, thanks and goodbyes and with tears in my eyes Vera and I walked into the airport to departures. We had time to wait and when in queue we saw 2 chaps come through dressed up and holding Tommy guns - a bit daunting to say the least. We were 1 hour late taking off and then at JFK in New York we were at the end of the queue for Customs and no one would listen to us regarding our connecting flight until it was too late and some senior person had us literally running through the airport from one section to another to no avail, so we missed the flight. Even though we were en route to Halifax, we had to go through Customs and get our luggage. So it was an overnight stay at the airport hotel where planes were coming in directly over our hotel, missing it by only feet so it appeared. Just hoped our room was not in that section of the hotel.



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Day 90: England Day 90: England
Day 90: England

London - Churchill
Day 91: England,  Day 91: England,
Day 91: England,

Family at the pub in Fimley


Tot: 0.435s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1013s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb