Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from Newbury
Blogs from Newbury
Latest Blogs from Newbury
- July 9th 2011 Alex and Annes Day
by Words: 908 Photos: 30
- June 25th 2011 Family and Friends, UK Visit.
by Words: 925 Photos: 19
- January 10th 2011 The Announcement...
by Words: 183 Photos: 0
- October 20th 2010 Homeward Bound
by Words: 738 Photos: 4
- May 17th 2010 England...with 10-year-olds?!
by Words: 1602 Photos: 18
- March 6th 2010 Advice to Travellers
by Words: 507 Photos: 0
- March 1st 2010 The Final Meltdown
by Words: 251 Photos: 7
- January 20th 2010 Introduction
by Words: 118 Photos: 2
- November 13th 2008 The Boring Bit - PACKING
by Words: 229 Photos: 2
- October 2nd 2008 Planning the Trip - Part 1
by Words: 436 Photos: 0
- July 26th 2008 Berkshire: Donnington and Newbury
by Words: 244 Photos: 5
- April 19th 2008 Countdown has begun!
by Words: 534 Photos: 6
- April 18th 2008 Farewell to good friends
by Words: 226 Photos: 2
- April 6th 2008 First Entry to the Murphy Family Travel Blog
by Words: 119 Photos: 1
- March 12th 2008 Major Emotional Wobbliness
by Words: 527 Photos: 0
- March 4th 2008 Holey Moley! and the beginning of the Amazing Adventures of Maude Meenoo!
by Words: 863 Photos: 33
- February 7th 2008 Days 4, 5 and 6
by Words: 1197 Photos: 31
- December 17th 2007 The day before I go
by Words: 92 Photos: 1
- October 26th 2007 Day 1
by Words: 82 Photos: 0
- October 14th 2007 A Weekend in the Country
by Words: 519 Photos: 8