Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from Maidenhead
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Maidenhead
Latest Blogs from Maidenhead
- July 1st 2012 One down 16 to go. Thank you England.
by Words: 1003 Photos: 84
- June 26th 2012 Getting prepared!!
by Words: 139 Photos: 2
- May 5th 2012 Final Days!!
by Words: 830 Photos: 11
- April 20th 2011 Less than 5 hours to go!!
by Words: 88 Photos: 0
- April 17th 2011 3 sleeps to go!!!
by Words: 98 Photos: 0
- May 3rd 2010 Lord and Lady of the Manor
by Words: 489 Photos: 10
- May 25th 2009 Getting ready
by Words: 228 Photos: 0
- May 13th 2009 May 8th-13th Austria/England
by Words: 785 Photos: 4
- March 2nd 2009 Nov '08-Feb '09 - Winter
by Words: 580 Photos: 10
- September 28th 2008 September 10th 28th England
by Words: 1580 Photos: 12
- July 12th 2008 D+5 Maidenhead
by Words: 319 Photos: 2
- January 30th 2008 Wild China weather kills 25/ Čína čelí nejhorí sněhové kalamitě za 50 let
by Words: 146 Photos: 0
- January 29th 2008 Starting Point - Začateční Stanice
by Words: 143 Photos: 0
- December 23rd 2007 Happy Christmas from UK
by Words: 293 Photos: 4
- October 19th 2006 The Adventure Begins Soon!!!!
by Words: 146 Photos: 0
- April 28th 2006 Old friends, meet new friends; we'll all be friends
by Words: 1183 Photos: 14
- April 13th 2006 Leaving work
by Words: 127 Photos: 1