Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from Bedford
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Bedford
Latest Blogs from Bedford
- July 5th 2011 Whinchester!!!
by Words: 338 Photos: 0
- February 8th 2011 Here we go again...
by Words: 1098 Photos: 7
- April 11th 2010 Moto GP Qatar
by Words: 43 Photos: 1
- April 6th 2010 The second match
by Words: 1096 Photos: 6
- March 26th 2009 Dav's Birthday!
by Words: 280 Photos: 7
- December 1st 2008 Kiwi and Proud
by Words: 1336 Photos: 6
- November 29th 2008 Going Down in WWII
by Words: 755 Photos: 4
- October 24th 2008 Home again
by Words: 163 Photos: 4
- October 14th 2008 A Day at the Track
by Words: 376 Photos: 15
- September 26th 2008 Getting ready for the adventure
by Words: 64 Photos: 2
- June 18th 2008 Getting Ready To Go!
by Words: 47 Photos: 1
- October 13th 2007 My first Blog
by Words: 183 Photos: 1
- April 30th 2007 The countdown finishes
by Words: 1302 Photos: 5