#40 - Ukraine


Advertisement
Ukraine's flag
Europe » Ukraine » Kyiv » Maidan Nezalezhnosti
July 26th 2011
Published: July 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

With less than 2 weeks until we return to Washington DC, the place where our adventure began, we find ourselves again in Moscow ready to head to our large apple, aka New York City.

We split our time between Kiev and Odessa. Our Ukrainian friend from DC Anna set us up with a home stay with her parents. We stayed in her old room even. The food they prepared was amazing. Everything maybe except the sala, which is the top layer of pig fat with spices. I tried a bite. Its like chewing gum with an aftertaste. I hope it won't remain in my stomach for 7 years. We also had nalishniki, a favorite. It is a bit like a crepe with some cheese inside. This cheese is hard to find in the US and I am not even sure what it is called besides delicious. Also we had golumbsi, like a cabbage roll stuffed with meat and other tasty foods. Also we had home made whisky and compot. If you see us in the US ask us for a taste.. it is amazing!

We spent our Kiev time exploring various museums, like the Museum of Famine (1932-1933) and the WWII war, and the Chernobyl Museum. Our tour to the Chernobyl Nuclear Disaster Zone was cancelled by the government. They didnt say why, but I suspect there must have been an accident or something. Anyhow the museum was informative as well. The famine was quite sad. Basically Russia collected the food, exported it to other countries, and improved their factories that make military things. Several million died. The monument to Babi Yar, where thousands of Jews were killed in WWII was less than remarkable. Actually it didnt even menion that "Jews" died, just Ukrainians.

I really enjoyed the Maidan Nezheloznosti, the large city square where the 2004 revolution took place. Those who were swept out of power are again in power. The situation is pretty grim in Ukraine although next year's Eurocup 2012 should bring tourists and revenue.

Other than Kiev we took a sleeper car train to the Black Sea city of Odessa. (It was like 9 dollars only!) I relaxed on the beach, got a sunburn, paid a bribe to not be thrown in a Ukrainian jail, and Laura stole a license plate. She will have to tell you the story but apparently while someone was powerdrilling away an old license plate, she nipped it. Go Laura!

Anyhow, good times were had in the Ukraine! Next up 2 weeks in New York and Canada. I will likely write next from Canada in possibly the penultimate blog of this series.
Onward and upward!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0846s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb