We just finished biking through the Alps....no big deal....


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
July 15th 2014
Published: July 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we biked maybe 80K from Rapperswil to Sax. Today we finished up our bike tour with a 60k ride from Sax to Arbon. Both yesterday and today were idyllic biking days- sunny and warm but not too warm, mostly flat terrain. Yesterday we rode along the Rhine river for a while which was beautiful and decided to cross the river into Liechtenstein for a few kilometers or so. We were super excited to have been dry all day yesterday until the very last couple of kilometers we get caught in a downpour....soaking our shoes. Luckily today was dry, totaling for 2 out of 7 days that we've finished the day with dry shoes!

Yesterday lunch was in a campground in Murg by a lake and it was a bit warm so we decided to go for a swim. The water was very cold but it was very refreshing to jump in for a bit. Also yesterday was finally warm enough to warrant an afternoon ice cream break which was very exciting for me 😊

Last night we stayed at an adorable small bed and breakfast in Sax. The food was wonderful and the hotel was an old castle with a beautiful terrace and view. The owner, however, was super grumpy and he made for some funny stories. I don't think he was pumped to have some dripping wet bikers in his nice bed and breakfast....

Today was the perfect wrap up to quite the adventure. It was an easy ride with several breaks for coffee, photos etc. Lunch was outside a large church with lots of flower gardens making for some great pictures. This afternoon we crossed into Austria for a bit and finished up our ride riding along a bike path next to a lake leading to Arbon. Mike and I said goodbye to our good friends Diez y Ocho and Apple (Mike's and my bikes....yes we named them) and then we enjoyed dinner and a few beers lakeside as a group this evening. We had a few funny photo ops at the end and Mike and Hank rocked the bibs for the few pics....and I thought they were all talk....

A few thoughts on the tour as a whole- It was an amazing adventure and I can't believe that I did it! This 'vacation' pushed me both mentally and physically and exposed me to another culture and another part of the world I had never seen. Mike and I joked in the beginning when it rained nonstop for four days that at home we would never go outside in that type of weather...and here we did it anyways. In addition, I've never attempted to do an ascent or descent like we've done here and we did it here. I've taken a whole bunch of pictures and posted a handful but for every picture there were 10 more picture perfect scenes that I couldn't capture while on a bike. It was one postcard after another and it was all I could do to not stop every 10 minutes to take more pictures! The trip was very well organized and we had amazing guides to show us to the way, and for that I am very grateful.

Tomorrow the adventure continues, this time on a train (yay!) then it's on to London for a quick stop!


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb