Worlds Apart - Switzerland & North Sudan work trips


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
July 30th 2010
Published: August 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

July has seen Murray visit Switzerland and North Sudan, here is a brief overview of both.

GENEVA - SWITZERLAND
"In July I travelled to Geneva for the global water and sanitation cluster meeting convened by UNICEF, where amongst other things we discussed and made plans for the continuing humanitarian response in Haiti.

Geneva is the home of Swiss watches, Swiss Chocolate, Americas Cup Team Alinghi, John Calvin and the Red Cross Movement, and between meetings I managed to sample the chocolate, tour the Old Town where John Calvin lived and works, and get out sailing on the lake."


KHARTOUM - NORTH SUDAN
"Later in July I travelled to Khartoum, North Sudan to present at the annual Water and Sanitation workshop for Tearfund staff and partners working in Darfur. This year the workshop was held in Khartoum, because of recent kidnappings and insecurity in Darfur has meant many of our staff have had to relocate to Khartoum. Khartoum, is at the confluence of the White and Blue Nile Rivers, and is the cross roads between Arabic North Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa. The historic ‘Hotel Grand’ where the workshop was held is famous for being a temporary home to Winston Churchill during his African adventures, and sits strategically on the banks of the Blue Nile. We also visited the modern ‘Burj Al Fatah’ hotel next door, which is a miniture model of the seven star Burj Al Arad Hotel in Dubai, and provided a great view of the confluence of the White Nile which flows from Uganda and the Blue Nile which flows from Ethiopia."



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



1st August 2010

Hi thanks for keeping us up to date. Good to see you are busy and you sure are getting to see lots of interesting places.
1st August 2010

Sounds great.
Wow, cool adventures!
2nd August 2010

YOUR LATEST BLOG
Hi the Burt family, its always a pleasure to receive updates on your mission Murray but more importantly how you're keeping - the little girls have grown so fast, haven't they? And Miriam is never without company while the man of the family is away at work! Always remember you in our daily prayers, doing relief work all over the globe! Keep up the good work. Kind regards, Fa'api'o xox :o)
2nd August 2010

hey!
hard at work there mr burt - keep it up! and enjoy the breaks inbetween : )
2nd August 2010

Thanks
Sounds like you did all the really important things in Geneva. Good that you brought some chocolate home. And that you arrived safely home from North Sudan. People who work there long term must be very special
2nd August 2010

John and Valarie Massam
Encouraging to here from you and appreciate some of the work you are doing.
3rd August 2010

Geneva
You certainly manage to squeeze a lot in to a short visit. How was the weather on the lake?

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb