Jungfraujoch & Monchsjochhutte


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
June 27th 2008
Published: July 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Monch from SphinxMonch from SphinxMonch from Sphinx

Family Photo from Top of Europe, Jungfraujoch
Dear Family & Friends,

We are so behind in our blog entries, but having such a great time everywhere we go....this quick entry is about the day we (and Marilyn) took the cograil train up through the mountain at the base of the Monch and Jungfrau above Wengen, Switzerland, to arrive at "the top of Europe," as it is billed - the Jungfraujoch, elevation 11,333 feet. It is about an hour train ride, much of it through a tunnel as high up as they could get and then you take an elevator the rest of the way, emerging on a vast world of snow and ice. The weather was spectacular, as was the view. We walked outside, first where the kids and Ken did a zip line over the glacier and then we all walked up to the Monchsjochhutte, which very few people do. It is another hour or so, uphill, on the blinding (from the sun), slushy snow, to the hut which is the jumping-off point for climbers (where Kate stayed when she climbed the Monch so many years ago!). It is perched on the side of the Monch, which you can see in the background of the photo of Kate and Lauren. It was grueling and our promise of having a yummy dessert at the hut did not pan out....had goulash soup and candy bars instead!

A surreal day, to be sure....

K4








Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

EdelweissEdelweiss
Edelweiss

Flowers near our Wengen Apartment


Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb