Background: The Swiss Confederation was founded in 1291 as a defensive alliance among three cantons. In succeeding years, other localities joined the original three. The Swiss Confederation secured its independence from the Holy Roman Empire in 1499. Switzerland's sovreignty and neutrality have long been honored by the major European powers, and the country was not involved in either of the two World Wars. The political and economic integration of Europe over the past half century, as well as Switzerland's role in many UN and international organizations, has strengthened Switzerland's ties with its neighbors. However, the country did not officially become a UN member until 2002. Switzerland remains active in many UN and international organizations, but retains a strong commitment to neutrality.
Photos from Lake Geneva
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Lake Geneva
Latest Blogs from Lake Geneva
- July 13th 2011 Quick Update
by Words: 262 Photos: 6
- October 23rd 2009 Swiss Vendange
by Words: 732 Photos: 30
- October 15th 2009 In Morges
by Words: 782 Photos: 25
- October 14th 2009 Quand les Allemands envahissent la Suisse
by Words: 780 Photos: 28
- September 13th 2009 Respirer sous l'eau
by Words: 834 Photos: 0
- September 23rd 2008 Chocolate aplenty
by Words: 153 Photos: 10
- September 9th 2008 Switzerland
by Words: 789 Photos: 22
- April 2nd 2006 1 day to departure...
by Words: 331 Photos: 0
- May 16th 1985 Paris, Bernese Oberland, and Holland with Sue and family...and great news!
by Words: 602 Photos: 73