Stunning Switzerland


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Interlaken
October 1st 2009
Published: November 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 529
After a well needed sleep in it was back to domestics of washing clothes, airing out our tent and a hearty breaky. With our arrival back to the UK growing closurer by the day, the time had come to make some calls to London regarding job prospects.
By early afternoon with our chores taken care of, we headed back in the city to met Gaffy who had decided to join us for part of our Swiss adventures. We purchased some Swiss passes (a all inclusive travel pass which would prove invaluable over the next week) and set of on the walking tour of Zurich with Thomas' Lonely Planet in hand.
Firstly along the Bahnhofstrasse, beneath lies the old banks vaults filled with precious metals (or at least the used to be), to the lookout with beautiful views overlooking the river and west side of Zurich, passing through to St. Peters Church the which holds Europe's biggest clock face spanning 8.3m in diametre, past the Fraumunster Church with its famous stained class windows designed by Marc Chagall (unfortunately we were out of opening hours and it was very difficult to see from the outside) and another church apparently where they first began to speak out against the Roman Catholics in the beginning of the Swiss Revolution 1848.
Down to the lake we cut our walking tour short and sat in the afternoon sun listening to a band and waited for Thomas to finish work. Together we had traditional Swiss dinner trying out all the favourites, two varieties of cheese fondue, Raclette and Veal and Roesti. Delicious! And we made our way back to Thomas' picking up some swiss chocolate for dessert!

Day 530
We waited at our meeting point for Thomas's friend, who had kindly offered to take us on a private tour of Zurich with two of his friends visiting from Germany. Back down Bahnhofstrasse we roamed in and out of the tiny streets we would normally have avoided sure to have got lost, back past the lookout and along the shopping district. We then jumped on a tram to outskirts one of his favourite parts of Zurich, not shiny and new but with fantastic views of the river and cheap and tasty food, we tucked into some lunch. Just missing the boat we walked back along the lake, stopping for some rock skipping, past the picnicers and sunbathers back in the vicinity of the station for a coffee and then a wander down Long Street famous for its night life.
Here we met Thomas a a local bar for a couple drinks and dinner.

Day 531
Up and at 'em early, we packed up and shipped out set for Scheffhausen Thomas's home town. First stop was the Castle with lovely views over the quaint town. Back down along the cobblestone streets amongst the grape vines, to the little town filled with boutique shops and elaborately decorated house fronts After admiring the local Clock shop we jumped on the next bus to Scheffhausen falls, the largest Waterfall in Europe spanning 150 wide and 23m tall.
We walked around the falls and admired its huge size over some traditional Swiss sausages. Switzerland like the rest of our European tour was turning out to be all about seeing and eating!
Back on the train again this time for Lucern, arriving an hour and a half hour later. After checking into our dorm, we set to explore the city. Stopping at briefly at the Lion Monument, we climbed the former city walls to the tower and past the athletics ground for Jez and Thomas to race. Results unconfirmed!
Back along the river, past the medieval Spreuerbrücker bridge and crossing the Ruess River at the famous Kapellbrücke bridges, both bridges marked by there brush with fire. We watched the swans chase their food down the street, stopping by the supermarket to pick up some supplies for dinner. We returned to a packed kitchen, but after finally we fighting our way to the stove top we whipped up a quick pasta and red wine!

Day 532
After introducing Thomas to a traditional breaky (minus the bacon) eggs, tomato, mushrooms. We caught the train to Breinz. Stopping for a coffee and more Swiss chocolate! Yum. We boarded the next boat along the Lake of Lausanne to Interlaken. The ride whilst chilly was stunning, as we cruised over the the turquiose waters, beneath clear skies amidst the lush landscapes. We arrived at Interlaken and checked into the beautiful and homely Ruganpark Rooms run by a lovely couple. After getting a comprehensive run down on everything from activities to restaurants and transport, everything but where we could watch the AFL Grandfinal! We hit the streets in search of anywhere that might look like televising the game live at 6am! After a fruitless two hours we returned home slightly dejected. But we (or Carly) hadn't given up we searched the net for any way to stream the game illegally or legally. Believing we had it sorted, Thomas treated us to a traditional swiss sausage and potatoe dish and we crashed early ready for our early start.

Day 533
After an anxious sleep Carly rose early to set up the computer to stream the game... mission failed! The site wasn't streaming after all! So we listened to Rex Hunt (big fans!) keep us on the edge of our seats (or beds!) and subscribed for a month to Eurosport 2 watching the next three quarters live. After the disappointing results.. St. Kilda tried just too hard to lose! Carly took some quiet time to reflect but not for long and we soon to discovered that despite the loss we were in one of the most beautiful places on earth. We took the the train to Klein Scheidegg and then another to 'Jungfroujoch' the highest train line in Europe aptly named the "Top of Europe" at 3454m (above sea level). We made our way through the icy tunnel to glacier. It was a magic day beautiful blue skies and a pleasantly warming sun. We soaked up the views, Jez did a brief streak much to the shock of our Swiss Tour Guide Thomas! We made our way to the top view point for more stunning views and a wander through the ice palace.
Whilst we were having snow fights and streaking. Gaffy was skydiving! Incredibly jealous but thrilled for Gaf we met up at Lauterbrunnen, exchanging stories and taking a look at the Straubbachfaille (waterfall). A beautiful misty spray floating down the cliff face. We returned to Interlaken, where Thomas treated us again to another Swiss dish, pork vol u vents and rice and some VB (it was Grandfinal day after all!).

Day 534
Up early we enjoyed another delicious breaky and after a team sandwiche making effort in the kitchen we set off to Grindlewald. Despite the less then impressive weather we arrived at a beautiful and lush green village situated within the valley. We took the cablecar to the First. From here we took strolled the easy 5km to the Lake. Unfortunately less impressive then the pictures we had seen due to the overcast conditions but beautiful just the same. We stopped for lunch on the edge of the lake keen to escape the chilly breeze. After making in back to First we opted for the 'First Flyer" (aka flying fox") reportedly reaching speeds of up to 84km per hour. Carly after a flying start finished 2nd with Thomas pipping her at the post, Gaffy 3rd and Jez a slow last place. From Schteckfeld we strolled down to Bort, learning along the way Gaffy spoke fluent cow after a friendly encounter with a roaming cow. At Bort we hired a 'Trottibike' each (aka Scooter) reaching speeds of 45km/hr and I have no doubt we reached that. After a few pic stops we were back in Grindlewald..exhausted. We caught the train back and dined at the local Thai Restaurant for our final night.

Day 535
With Gaffy's Swiss Pass expired and Thomas due back in Zurich later that day, they left our group and headed home via Bern. Whilst we got the train Lauterbraun followed by two cable cars to the Schilthorn. The home of the James Bond 007 1969 movie, On Her Majesty's Secret Service. The Shilthorn is 2970m above sea level and has a revolving restaurant on top with 360degree panoramic views from Titlis, Jungfrou. Monch and Eiger peaks. Unfortunately just as we piled out of the cable car the clouds rolled in, destroying our view in seconds. With plenty of time we headed into the warmth of the restaurant for soup and waited for the clouds to disperse. After a few pics between the clouds, watching the James Bond clip it seemed the clouds were there to stay. We headed back down the cable car to Murren where we relaxed in the sunshine and just enjoyed the views. Two more cable cars and a short bus journey we made it to the falls. A set of ten glacier falls, with gallons of water thrashing within the cave every second, but tough to photograph. Then it was time to head back to our now much quieter hotel where we whipped up an easy dinner and had an early night.

Day 536
After a sleep in, our last breakfast in the garden room we packed up and farewelled our lovely hosts, vowing to return should be ever find ourselves in Switzerland again (and I'm sure we will!!)
We took the train Montroux, stored our bags and had lunch by the Lake. We strolled along the lake, making the most of what was sure to be our final day on sunshine to the Chilon. The Castle made famous by Lord Byron which sits perfectly on the waters edge. We took the 'audioguide' tour dodging the huge Asian tour group along the way. With the daylight hours fading we caught the bus back to the station, but not leaving enough time to pick up our bags and make the always efficient Swiss train on its way to Geneva. Thirty minutes later the next train arrived and left on the second.. as always. We arrived in Geneva grabbed an early dinner and the next bus to our dodgy airport motel for the night, technically on the French side of the border. On arrival we were told we had been moved to the three star up the road?! Unfortunately it wasn't anything to get overly excited about. But it had a bath which after months without one Carly took the opportunity to enjoy and Jez reminisced the end of our Europe trip going through our thousands of photo's!

Day 537
We arrived at the Geneva airport, picking up some Absinthe for our new housemates (Justin and Shea) who had kindly agreed for us to move in with them on our return to London. After a seamless journey flight, train, walk we found our new home (for the next week at least) and settled in.
After a fantastic three months around Europe we were abruptly back to the real world and it was time to find a job!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 18; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1159s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb