Yodelling in the Swiss Alps


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Interlaken
June 6th 2009
Published: June 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Our Swiss Route


Interesting fact: The Swiss invented LSD and Absinthe - not bad for a country of bankers and neutrality!

Whilst aboard the TGV train from Dijon to Bern, we are confronted with the sound Click Ching Click Ching Click Ching, wondering what the bloody hell that was, we noticed this chap sitting alone in his seat looking into his mobile phone camera striking a pose and taking a snap of himself Click Ching - not a normal camera sound I know but that was the noise it made, for 45 minutes this dude changed pose and Click Ching!!!!!

We arrived late into Bern the Capital of Switzerland so we headed to the nearest hotel which surprise surprise was a 4 star Savoy Group Hotel for 200 Swiss francs and fell into Bed. Yes, Laura one down but still a few more to go until you win the bet he he.

Bern is such a cool town and we wish we had more time here but our train to Interlaken was at lunch time the next day so we had a potter after a very disappointing breakfast, being a “4 star” we expected more than cold meats and cheeses, maybe a hotel has to be an International Hotel to get a full English???.

It was our first time seeing the Swiss Alps from an amazing lookout point in Bern and we got very excited about heading south to the Jungfrau Region it looked truly stunning. The downside to this part of the world is that everything is so bloody high, it is the land of peaks and darn cable cars that scale silly heights. To the normal Joe in the street that is not a problem, but when you are a height adverse wimp like Tony, whose blood runs cold when faced with a water park slide that tips the 30 foot barrier, it poses a major dilemma for us to see the stunning sights god create (allegedly).

Interlaken is a cool little town by two lakes (forget what they are called now) but very touristy, bus loads of Japanese and Americans everywhere so we only spent one night here at the River Lodge, 26 Swiss francs, for a camping plot before heading up into the Alps to a little place called Lauterbrunnen.

Lauterbrunnen is amazing it is a tiny little town set in the valley of 70 odd waterfalls. Our Campsite (Jungfrau Campsite, 30 Swiss francs) was right by a massive waterfall and had an amazing view of the snow peaked mountains in the distance. We spent two nights here exploring the area and trying out the local cuisine (rostis). We came across a place called Trummelbach which is where 20,000 litres per second of water corkscrews through caves inside the mountains, it was such a sight!!! Tony also brought his first of many hats and after a few great days here we experienced our first packing up of the tent in pouring rain!!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb