Swiss Alpes


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-East » Bernina Pass
May 15th 2009
Published: May 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

May 14th
Took the train to the Alpes today. 3-4 hour trip each way.
We travelled past a beautiful aqua lake called Walensee. Huge steep cliffs on one side and the rail line and typical Swiss villages on the other. Cows with bells around their necks scatter the fields.
The train slowly ascends towards St Moritz to a height of 1775metres. We crossed the Landwasser Viaduct-a world famous cast-iron piece of Rhaetian railway. It is currently under repair so the train slows to a crawl over the viaduct that reaches 65 metres in height and 142 metres in length. The viaduct is listed by UNESCO as a world heritage site.

We stopped at St Moritz for a quick bite. The town is dead this time of year but in winter it is the playground of the rich and famous.

It was too cold to walk around as nobody told me I was not dressed appropriately for the cold weather so we caught the Bernina Express for Alp Grum at 2091. What a trip. The mountains seem to go on forever and the snow cover gets heavier of course as you climb. The train snakes its way through gorges and tunnels, across streams and ridges, past frozen lakes and glaciers. We got as high as about 2300 metres and reached this little train station at Alp Grum.

Got involved in a snowball fight. So much fun. Then hot Swiss soup in the restaurant at the station. Train back arrived on time an hour later and we had a panoramic carriage most of the way home.

Oh my God you have to experience this if you can. For Aussies who don't have too many huge mountains it is awe-inspiring. Another very memorable day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Landwasser Viaduct Under RepairLandwasser Viaduct Under Repair
Landwasser Viaduct Under Repair

After 106 years they decided to repair the viaduct - the brochure assures us it is safe


17th May 2009

Didn't you ware your long Johns. BRRRRRRRR. A big warm grouphug from Sylvia and John
18th May 2009

Nooooo Sheee Didnnnt
Hi John , Sylvia Nope, she froze. At least I was warm!!

Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0787s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb