Lucerne: the first time that I fell in love


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Lucerne
February 6th 2011
Published: June 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I've been to Lucerne twice: once in the summer and onde in the winter, and during both seasons this is such a charming city.

The first time was in July of 2007. I was 15 and traveling with a few friends, I just fell in love with its lovely narrow streets and the cute buildings by the lake. The city was full of people walking around or just sitting by the lake talking and eating something. I spent the day discovering the city and shopping for souvenirs (they have a lot of things stamped with cows like cups, pens, umbrellas and all kind of souvenirs, all of them are really cute), unfortunately the shops close early, between 4/5pm.

The second time was in February of 2011. I was travelling with a huge group of people from all around the world (actually, the majority were from Australia, there were also people from Sotuh Africa, New Zeland and Canada but people from all countries can join that excursion). We spent only one day in Lucerne and it was sunday, so the city wasn't so full as it was in the summer and a lot of stores were closed, although the big ones were opened. It was not as cold as I expected to be, even though the winter weather was really nice. This was definitely one of the best days all my life. We started the day going up the alps (I will talk about them later!), then go back to the city for swiss fondue lunch and some shopping and at night we did a snowball warfare and drank champange while listening to one of my friends playing the guitar.

A very moving monument to visit is the Lyon Monument, a sculpture that honors the Swiss Guards who were massacred during the French Revolution. Another nice thing to see is the Chapel Bridge, a charming bridge crossing the lake.

This is a wonderful city to shop for watches, army knifes ad of course, chocolate. Find a restaurant to eat fondue or just buy some chocolate to eat by the lake. Who wouldn't appreciate that view?


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb