Zurich - Switzerland


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-East » Zürich » Zürich
September 19th 2011
Published: September 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We got to Zurich at just after 7 and got some food before trying to find our hotel. We tried to get a cab, but when we explained the hotel to the driver, he told us that it was in the old town and no cabs could go in there. So in the light rain, we walked and followed the phone GPS directions towards our hotel. We eventually got there and were really grateful to get out of the rain. We checked in and stayed in a room called Saga, named after the band. We then settled in and headed for bed shortly after.

Tuesday arrived and we got up early in order to get cracking on the first day of Zurich! We got ready and walked down the street and found a little café for breakfast. We were amazed at how expensive the prices were but people had already warned us that Switzerland in general is very expensive. After breakfast, we wandered down the street further and had a look at the shops and Sarah got a few souvenirs. Afterwards we explored the waterfront a bit and bought a few books from a local English book store. We ended up at the hotel at around 2pm for a nana nap before having an early dinner at the Chinese stir fry across the road. This was a lot cheaper than most other places and probably tasted better too! After dinner we watched a little bit of TV before bed.

The next day we had a bit of a sleep in and didn’t end up leaving the hotel until about 11:30. We were pretty hungry so we got some lunch from across the road at the Chinese place again before setting off to explore more of the city. We found a whole area full of swans and the waterfront is the only place I’ve ever seen with 3 massive clock towers in a 90 degree view. After a few hours of sightseeing we headed back to our street and had to settle for Maccas for dinner as it was getting ridiculous trying to find a cheap feed anywhere. We had our food and headed back to the hotel.

The next morning we went back to the Maccas at around 11 to use the free internet. It was good to be back online after a few days but Sarah’s laptop was playing up with the internet so we didn’t stay long. After lunch we headed down to the waterfront, not far from where the swans migrate every day, and spent a few relaxing hours reading in the shade. It was a very weird climate because if you sit in the sun too long, it gets really hot and if you sit in the shade too long it gets really cold. No happy medium! After a long relaxing day we went to a Mexican restaurant and shared a meal because they were too expensive, and headed back to Maccas to go on the net again before heading back to the hotel for bed.

Friday came and we headed back to the breakfast café from the first day and got some hot chocolates before heading to the train station to book our seats for the train ride to Vienna. Afterwards we stopped in at the supermarket to get some food to keep us alive during the epic 8 hours that it would take to get to our next destination. We went back to Maccas for the Wi-Fi and had dinner later on that night. We then headed back to the hotel and did the invite for my birthday party.

Saturday was our last day in Zurich and it felt sort of good. We were pretty sick of eating Maccas because we couldn’t afford to eat anywhere else, but the scenery is so beautiful, we knew we would miss that at least. We got up, packed our things and left for the train station and were onboard by a quarter to 9. Soon to be on our way to Vienna in Austria, we settled in for the long trip ahead of us.





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb