Soderhamn and Sundsvall central east coast Sweden 24 July 2014


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden
July 25th 2014
Published: July 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Soderhamn and Sundsvall central east coast Sweden 24 July 2014


From the beautiful Dalarna Region we drove east to Soderhamn.




We visited the very helpful Tourist Bureau who even made 7 or so phone calls to car servicing centres to try and book our motor home in for a service...without luck. A lot of the service centres had a wait list of 2-3 weeks. Summer holiday times is very busy. We decided that we had to wait several more weeks until the summer holidays were nearly over.
We looked around the town and then drove onto Sundsvall which is further up the coast.
In 1888 there was a horrific fire in the mainly wooden-building city. Almost all the city was burned. It was decided that the new city was to be built in brick and stone. They tell us that this is now the most northern brick/stone city in Scandinavia. They also decided that the Dragon should be the city emblem - fight fire with fire - so we saw many different dragons dotted around the city.
Sundsvall is a beautiful city, not only because of its architectural buildings, but its river hard-scapes, the cafe and restaurant life and the general ease at which we found that we could get around. We even saw 4 beautiful buildings that were joined together at the roof level. The buildings were used for theatre, library, art displays and general up-market shopping.
We left the city to head further up the east coast of Sweden to Hoga Kusten....more next blog.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb