Visiting Gamla Uppsala and Nyköping


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Uppsala County » Uppsala
February 10th 2007
Published: February 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We ventured out recently to the oldest part of Uppsala, Gamla Uppsala. The old town was once the centre of Uppsala City before the township itself was moved in the 13th Century four kilometres away (to its current site). What remains in Gamla Uppsala is a range of historical sites, testament to the long history of this city.

The most significant of the historical sites is a series of ancient burial mounds. The three major grave mounds are said to be the tombs of legendary pre-Viking kings, with archaeological digs retrieving ancient Viking artefacts from this location. It was amazing to be in a place with such a long recorded history-eerie to imagine where we were standing was once a place of ancient burial rituals!

Nearby was a lovely church dating back from the 15th century. We wandered inside and found ourselves alone, experiencing a silence so complete…it’s difficult to describe how we felt as we stood there in the quiet-I’m not sure I’ve ever been somewhere so incredibly peaceful, especially somewhere within the built world. It was beautiful. Later we wandered around outside some more, marvelling at the old Swedish housing and the outlook across the fields (still white with snow!)

Our time in Sweden, which has been so wonderful, is almost at an end. Our final few days here are to be spent hanging out with Luke and Maria and visiting Maria’s family in her home town of Nyköping, about an hour south of Stockholm. Nyköping is a lovely quaint Swedish city, full of gorgoeus old houses and a lovely riverside where Nyköpinghus (a 12th century castle) is located. We are very much enjoying visiting Maria's family in their home here and spending our last bit of Swedish time with Maria and Luke. After that its 'hej då Sverige' and 'buongiorno Italia!'



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



12th February 2007

Vi ses snart igen!
Hi! Just wanted to say again that it was so great to have you guys staying with us. It was very empty when we arrived back home, only a few bags left... Hope the trip to Rome went well, we look forward to reading about your European adventures! Lots of Love Maria and Luke
16th February 2007

Good luck!
Hey guys! Just thought i'd let u know who much i miss u guys and love u both. Good luck with ur trip around Europe, i know u guys will have the best time. Can't wait to hear all about. Love kyrie

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb