Stockholm Layover


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
August 23rd 2009
Published: August 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Touchdown!Touchdown!Touchdown!

A very tired Erin and Graham, just off the SAS flight to Stockholm.
After our lovely but unfortunately sleepless night (day? evening? we got a bit loopy with the time change) on the flight into Arlanda, we were glad to stretch our legs in a new city. Luckily, our luggage had been checked through to Tallinn, so all we had was a relatively small backpack to carry with us around the streets of Stockholm.
There's a very convenient train in the "basement" of the airport that takes one directly downtown in 20 minutes, so it was perfect for us and our 6-hour layover. We shared a train car with a nice couple from, of all places, Pardeeville, WI; we talked about travel and about how it was not a good idea to visit Krakow when the pope is visiting.

A short ride later, we wound up in Centralsstation smack in the middle of Stockholm's bustling city centre. And what, you may ask, is bustling in Stockholm at 08.00h on a Sunday morning? Ice cream shops, apparently. There were many shops that were closed on the main pedestrian strips as we walked around, but the ones that were open were definitely pushing their scoops, so to speak.
Not particularly interested in that kind of
ChurchChurchChurch

This was a very beautiful and peaceful place to collect our thoughts.
sugar high that early in the morning, we decided to duck into a convenience market, pick up bananas and rolls, and discover some of the sights. One was S:ta Klara kyrka, a lovely church that was beautiful in the sunshine and confounding by virtue of being surrounded by Now and Never Forever, an installation piece leftover from the Stockholm Culture Festival (link in Swedish, expand to read the high-minded description).

After marveling at 16th century church architecture, we wandered southward toward the Riksdag and the royal palace. We hung around there for a little bit, marvelling at the mammoth buildings, the rivers running through town, and getting a little chilly in the shade. Soon, it was time to move on back to the airport and await our plane to Tallinn.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Stockholm Postal BuildingStockholm Postal Building
Stockholm Postal Building

The detail in the pillar behind Erin is beautiful.
Stockholm - City of WaterStockholm - City of Water
Stockholm - City of Water

Graham with the cityscape behind him.
Royal Palace GuardRoyal Palace Guard
Royal Palace Guard

Would *not* want to get in a tussle with this guy. Just look at his hat!


29th August 2009

stockholm!
we loved it there! and yes that train kicks ass. makes you wonder why chicago doesnt have something similar from o'hare....HAVE FUN !!!

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb