Crossing Over Into Sweden


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Skåne County » Malmö
July 16th 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hans Christian AndersenHans Christian AndersenHans Christian Andersen

Revered figure in Denmark, famous for writing The Little Mermaid
Today we made one last foray into Copenhagen before we rode the train under the Oresund bridge to Malmo to meet our friends Johan and Charlotte, and their daughter Olivia. We met in the Train Station and walked over to the "Little Square" for lunch. Then we went back to their apartment and got settled in. Later that night we went out for a delicious dinner and some coffee. We walked through their local park and also walked down by the beach for a while. The sun didn’t go down until 11 PM! Tomorrow night is the soccer game, and Seth can't wait!

I just wanted to add some of my thoughts and observations to what Vicki already posted. It is often the little differences that I find the most interesting. For instance, the flushing mechanism of the toilets in Sweden is different than what we have back in the States. I will try and get a picture of this later without looking stupid, but for now you will have to suffice with my written description. It sits on top of the toilet and there is a full circle on one side and a half circle on the other side.
Seth in City HallSeth in City HallSeth in City Hall

Old winding staircases
Evidently it puts out two different types of flushes depending on what you do.

Beer tasting: Johan and I went to the store to get beer. I must say I have never ridden a bicycle with a child seat on a beer run before. It was funny to see Budweiser and Miller Lite in the import section. Evidently, they are much like Fosters in the States. We think they are crap, but people over here still buy them for the novelty aspect. We decided to get a variety of beers so we could have our own little beer tasting. We got a few Swedish beers and some Danish beers. Johan said most of the Swedish beers were crap, but the Danish knew how to do beer right. We also got a couple of Boddington’s b/c Johan had never tried it before.

After tasting the beers, I would definitely have to say Johan was right. The Danish beers were better, but some of the Swedish micro brews were very good, especially the 10.2% beer that would have put me on my ass if I had a whole one. Unfortunately I do not have the names of all the beers
Vicki Outside of City HallVicki Outside of City HallVicki Outside of City Hall

Sometimes you just have to stop and smell the roses.
we had since I was too “tired” by the end of the night to write them down and they had all been cleaned up by the time I got up the next morning.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Johan and CharlotteJohan and Charlotte
Johan and Charlotte

Like out of a romantic movie....
Olivia, Winning Our HeartsOlivia, Winning Our Hearts
Olivia, Winning Our Hearts

Did I mention how incredibly adorable she is?
A Very Old Swedish HouseA Very Old Swedish House
A Very Old Swedish House

Johan says this house has been preserved for a very long time.


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb