Background: A military power during the 17th century, Sweden has not participated in any war in almost two centuries. An armed neutrality was preserved in both World Wars. Sweden's long-successful economic formula of a capitalist system interlarded with substantial welfare elements was challenged in the 1990s by high unemployment and in 2000-02 by the global economic downturn, but fiscal discipline over the past several years has allowed the country to weather economic vagaries. Indecision over the country's role in the political and economic integration of Europe delayed Sweden's entry into the EU until 1995, and waived the introduction of the euro in 1999.
Photos from Gotland
Blogs from Gotland
Latest Blogs from Gotland
- August 30th 2011 Visby, Sweden --- July 21, 2011
by Words: 86 Photos: 11
- July 24th 2010 Visby, Sweden - July 2010
by Words: 751 Photos: 19
- July 18th 2010 Visby Sunday
by Words: 75 Photos: 3
- April 22nd 2010 En älg bit mi syster!
by Words: 1131 Photos: 27
- August 6th 2009 We look like tomatos...
by Words: 371 Photos: 35
- September 14th 2008 The Day That Asia Met Sweden
by Words: 1222 Photos: 18
- August 2nd 2008 Arrival!!!
by Words: 382 Photos: 0
- July 5th 2008 Baltic Bliss - a bicycle tour of Gotland
by Words: 1393 Photos: 26
- September 10th 2007 Scandinavia
by Words: 2214 Photos: 2
- July 12th 2007 Visby and Gotland - Part II
by Words: 354 Photos: 52
- July 5th 2007 Visby - Part 1
by Words: 89 Photos: 0
- June 23rd 2007 Midsommar
by Words: 343 Photos: 0
- August 8th 2006 I Love Swedish Girls
by Words: 217 Photos: 17
- July 25th 2006 Viking country
by Words: 604 Photos: 0
- July 18th 2006 we saw the sea!
by Words: 302 Photos: 0
- August 3rd 2005 The City of Roses
by Words: 823 Photos: 25
- July 22nd 2002 Visby Ugly
by Words: 149 Photos: 0