Gävle, Sweden


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Gävleborg County » Gävle
December 22nd 2008
Published: December 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello everybody,

Some of you might already know that we are on a long vacation, but anyway, here we are, spending some time in Sweden, visiting my Viking side of the family. We've been here for about 3 weeks now and have enjoyed it a lot. We stay at my mom's and Åke's place, in a little town outside of Gävle, right by the forest. It's very nice and quiet, an great change from san Francisco and we've been resting and sleeping quiet a bit out here.
The weather is cold, there is snow everywhere and little daylight. We've been spending some time inside, cooking and eating great food, and outide, taking walks in the woods, skiing, enjoying the snow.
For a few days, we went up to Luleå (check it out on an atlas, it's VERY north) to visit my sister Caroline, her husband Hans, and daughter Maja. It was a blast, Hans took us skiing and sledding with dogs, it was wonderful. And Hans is quiet an amazing cook! My sister is pregnant and should give birth in a week or two now.
Now we're back at my mom's, the snow is now much thinner but it will still be a white Christmas.

Sweden is a land a tradition and fun unusual practices, and here are the ones we've been complying to:
- Watching the yearly 1 hour of disney cartoons on december 24th
- running out of a steaming sauna and rolling naked in fresh snow (did that twice)
- drinking coffee and eating buns at any old time of the day
- drinking glög (hot spiced wine)
- eating food you pretty much don't find anywhere (char fish, moose, caviar from mountain lake fishes)
- leaving the house on skis
- eating salty candies
- sledding (it's called spark in Sweden)
- eating ligonberries (and ligonberry jam)

My mom is doing well, and everybody out here is fine. I wish you all a merry Christmas and a happy new year. Go Sweden!!!

Christophe



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 37; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb