The Pyrenees and the Camino de Santiago


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Navarre » Roncesvalles
October 13th 2012
Published: October 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Surely a depressing sight!Surely a depressing sight!Surely a depressing sight!

Only 790km to Santiago de Compostela!
Wow! What more can we say?!!

This was our first trip up into the mountains and what a journey it was. The sun was shining as the autumn colours were just beginning to come out in force. It was almost perfect.

We drove along the road to France and soon found ourselves completely taken aback by the beauty that was unfolding around us. Our first major stop was the town of Burgete. We had a good walk around and a bit of lunch in one of Ernest Hemingway's old hangouts. The town is lovely and we have vowed to return and stay over in a casa rural so we can do some walking in the area. We were also amazed by the murals on the walls of public buildings - even the bank had one!

Further up the road we passed through Roncesvalles and stopped at the Bird Migration Centre. We were lucky enough to see some red kites flying around and the centre gave us lots of information. It seems the migration season is about to begin for all types of species.

On our way back to Pamplona we called in at Roncesvalles and saw a bit of the monastery. It was nice enough but a church is a church is a church after a while! You know what we are saying!!

Pilgrims walking the Camino de Santiago de Compostela must be a little depressed when they see the sign telling them there are still 790km to go!!! One day we will walk it - yeah, right!


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb