Galicia - Santiago De Compostella


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia » Santiago de Compostela
August 6th 2013
Published: August 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

IMG_4810IMG_4810IMG_4810

Statue
Lazy day or Geocache day?

We decided to have a quiet day before we moved on to Santiago de Compostella. Getting up however at a reasonable time is getting more difficult as the days go by! People got up at various times before 11 and we had a bit of brunch - weather is colder than it has been. We decided to have a look round Melide so after uploading a blog and getting some co-ordinates for geocaches we headed off. Arrived in Melide and wandered about the town. The Camino runs straight through it so its littered with small hostels and bars... Most of which were closed like the shops as it was the middle of the day. Looks for a geocache in the centre of town but couldn't find it... It did take us down some interesting streets though.

The next geocache was by the side of a waterfall so we followed the GPS about a mile out of town.. Then walked through bracken and undergrowth across a small river and looked for it. Again no luck - are we going to find any on this holiday? So the last of the 3 - this took us
IMG_4823IMG_4823IMG_4823

One the way to Geocache
to a really nice park by the side of the river, including picnic tables and a couple of outdoor swimming pools with life guards. Really nice. Wandering along the river bank we spotted a stone that didn't look quite right and sure enough under the rock there was the geocache. Filled in the log and headed back to the house for swims and showers. As I said the weather was mixed today.. Overcast a few spots and then strong sun - only Matthew ventured into the pool. As this is our last night here we went back to Azura and eat in a small cafe which did 3 courses including drink for 9.90 Euro.. Really good value, massive salad, chops, ice cream or waffles/crepes and then coffee/tea. Picked up some more money as I'd phoned Nat West earlier in the day to clear the Fraud block.. Every year it's the same - should really tell them we are going away and where we are gong though.

Back at the house we finished of a few bits and pieces and then played numerous games of Hearts. Tomorrow we move on..

Onwards ever onwards

Packed up and left the farm by 12 - though they didn't seem in an rush to get us out. We were quite keen to find a swing bridge at Ximbibao across the river Ulla. We actually did well to find it as we couldn't spot it on the maps and Neil you were almost on it there weren't any signs. Lovely spot - bridge was great felt very Indiana Jones ish. Stopped for a picnic and walked over the bridge. Loads of wild animals around including a frog! After lunch we headed towards Santiago de Compostella and or new place. We didn't have the exact address as Catherine hadn't been picking up her emails but once close we phoned and we were 5 minutes away.

Lovely house - lots of rooms very quirky, pinball machine and tale tennis table and secluded pool.

They weren't quite ready for us so we went not the local village and picked up some shopping.

After we had unpacked we headed to the local hostelry and had food while Southampton were on the TV playing football against the local side. Great pub grub with the addition of the Tapas thrown in... We are talking free
IMG_4827IMG_4827IMG_4827

Farmhouse
sandwich, free bacon bitty thingy and free salted sunflower seeds. Now as all of these are salty maybe they are trying to be us to drink more? Or ami just the suspicious type?

Came back tired and watched a bit of TV then off to bed.

Sunday Sunday

Up late and stayed around the house/pool. Lovely day much warmer than was expected so we sunbathed and swam and then went into Santiago de Compostella in the evening. Lovely city and very close - we were outside the Cathedral within about 20 minutes.

Wandered around the city and then found somewhere to eat near the centre - it was getting quite late so some members of the party were getting cold... others were fine...

Even though desert and or coffee was included we left before we had finished and walked back to the car park. Arrived home 15 minutes after leaving the car park. Stayed up really late watching program's on the Discovery Channel. Really late - 3 ish... One of us was asleep much earlier.. Guess which one?



Monday Monday.

Very annoying and persistent fly in the bedroom woke me up
IMG_4829IMG_4829IMG_4829

Landing
earlyish. The weather not brilliant but ok. Catherine and I went into the local village to get some money for the property and some bits and pieces for breakfast/lunch. We got back and everyone was now up. So we brunches. Then over towards the sea side to Noaio - our where Noah is supposed to have landed. Lovely beaches and scenery so we stopped and paddled - then went further down the coast where the sea was rougher and coast was wider.

Heading back via the Eroski (hypermarket) we picked up our first petrol in the new car. At about 1.28 euro a litre not bad at all. Decided on using the barbecue tonight and it was very good - lovely rack and pinion system to raise and lower it.

After tea more pinball and then discovery channel...


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

IMG_4831IMG_4831
IMG_4831

Four Poster
IMG_4837IMG_4837
IMG_4837

Stairs
IMG_4840IMG_4840
IMG_4840

Bridge
IMG_4856IMG_4856
IMG_4856

Not so sure
IMG_4859IMG_4859
IMG_4859

10 metres apart
IMG_4888IMG_4888
IMG_4888

Dragon Flys
IMG_4890IMG_4890
IMG_4890

River Ulla
IMG_4894IMG_4894
IMG_4894

Picnic with Wine
IMG_4904IMG_4904
IMG_4904

Matthew carrying something...
IMG_4911IMG_4911
IMG_4911

Bar Food
IMG_4914IMG_4914
IMG_4914

Wood geocache
IMG_4916IMG_4916
IMG_4916

Wheres the path gone?
IMG_4921IMG_4921
IMG_4921

Cathedral


Tot: 0.215s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 69; dbt: 0.1128s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb